Crochet help please

Hi,

I wondered if any crocheters are able to give advice on a baby blanket I’ve just made, or if anyone knows another forum or good place to ask about this (I’ve googled with not much luck).

I’ve just finished this blanket, it’s the cosy stripe pattern by Attic24. I really love the pattern and loved making it, but as you can see from the photo one of the sides has come out longer than the other. If I try and make it look a better shape, it goes really wavy down that side. It looked like this before I added a border as well. It’s as if there are too many stitches on that longer side?

It also happened with the granny stripe pattern too, when I did a chain three at each end, it was as if it had too many stitches and the sides were curved and too long. I then made the granny stripe with a chain two at the ends and it fixed the problem, but I’ve done a chain two on this cosy stripe and it’s still too long on one side.

Anyway I’m hoping someone can suggest something or another place like a crochet forum that I can ask! I don’t think I can fix this one now as I don’t really have anything to block it with, but I might put it up to sell as a seconds as I love the pattern and colours.

Thank you,

Caroline

Depending on the yarn, this might work.
put a damp cotton cloth on top and iron while stretching the shorter side to become the same size as longer one.
Best,
catherine

1 Like

Can you see if theres any help re the pattern on ravelry.com? Their forums used to be great, loads of helpful people. Ive not visited for ages, but there are bound to be crochet groups on there.

1 Like

How strange! The first thing that sprints to mind is that perhaps you miscalculated which was the last stitch on that side and ended up with extra stitches. I’ve done that before but yours looks correct. It could be a tension issue, but again would be weird for it to be just one side. I’m in a crochet business owners group. If you’re happy for me to copy the text in your post (without your name) I can see if anyone has a solution or knows a group to join and let you know.

1 Like

@CarolineStevensCrafts it looks to me that you have too many stitches going around your border. If you followed a pattern for the border your tension may not be the same as the pattern because of yarn etc. I know it’s soul destroying but if it were me I would unpick the border and re do with less stitches even if it means skipping a few if that makes sense. A lovely blanket and it would be a shame to sell as seconds.

2 Likes

Could you block it before you add the border next time? It would help to shape it first before adding the border.
I’m limited on space and often block my crochet items by dampening them on a towel with pins into the carpet! :laughing:

You could also try emailing the designer and asking if they could suggest a solution.

1 Like

First thing a thought as I read you first done three chains is that I only do 2 but then I read on to see you’ve done that.

I think for this one as its already done, I would undo the border and on that one side do fewer stitches to bring it back in a bit.

2 Likes

Sometimes the yarn ends can increase the edge size when you weave them in. This happens to my mum quite a bit. She is a loose crocheter. It would probably straighten up when its blocked. Wash it the way you intend it to be washed in the future and pin it out so all of the sides are straight, corners are right angles and both sides are the same length. I nice long straight edge will come in handy here. If you havent got a metre rule then the edge of a cardboard box or anything that you know is perfectly straight will do. Lay it next to the blanket and pin the edge of the blanket to lay along the straight edge. This will help avoid a curve or any wonkiness when blocking

1 Like

Thank you to you all for replying!

I’m not sure I can bear to undo the border and try and redo it this time! It’s odd because it has the same number of stitches on both sides, so I do think the blanket was maybe a bit wonky before I added it (although the photo makes it look like it’s the border that’s messed it up). I haven’t washed it yet so with this one I’ll give it a wash and try and block it somehow as some have suggested and see if that sorts it.

@Beesandblossoms – I’ve heard of ravelry but never used it and didn’t even know they had a forum! I’ll go and search to see if I can find anyone else who’s had the problem on there.

@WildPawsRecrafting – that would be really good if you could ask on your group, that’s kind of you to offer, thank you. I’d be interested to see if anyone else has come across it and has suggestions for future blankets (although everyone has been very helpful here too).

@Sewtaylormadedesigns – Love your blocking method haha! Unfortunately I don’t even have a carpet to use!! I might try using a towel/sheet on a small rug I have though.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate it :blush:

1 Like

So far consensus is blocking should sort it out.

1 Like

I’ll give it a go soon, thank you! :slight_smile: