First Art/ Craft Fair

Hi all,

I was wondering whether anybody would be able to give me any advice please :slight_smile:

I mainly paint in watercolour and I have started selling my work recently. I am planning on doing my first fair soon and I don’t know what to stock. What do you find sells best or what would you prefer to buy?

a - Original pieces which are framed. A4 or A3.

b - Prints which are framed. A4 or A3

c - Prints which are unframed. A4 or A3

d - Cards

And how do you display framed art work?

Or does anybody have any other tips?

Thank you in advance for answering.

Hannah

xx

I don’t sell art but I have been known to buy art (at the affordable art fair and similar, originals and prints of all sizes) and I prefer to buy it unframed so that I can a) get it framed to match the rest of the collection and b) don’t have to lug as much weight about. Have also been known to buy cards. Which ever you choose to sell make sure you have appropriate wrapping materials so people can carry their purchases home safely.
My other tip is get yourself a card reader so you can do credit card payments as people are carrying less cash these days and impulse purchases are so much easier when they go on plastic! I have an izettle unit (I can send you a code so that we both get money off the transaction fees), folksy have a deal with sum up so that you can get a discount on their card reader (you can find that link on your dashboard), paypal do a reader which links in with your existing paypal account so you don’t need to set up a separate one (and there are other providers). Best to have a read of the costs and see which one you are happiest with.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I was thinking people would prefer frames as then the art is ready to hang. So this is a really useful opinion. It would be much easier for me as well and less expensive, to sell mainly prints and Original pieces unframed. I am also going to edit my post to ‘people who like to buy’ as well, not just sell.
Thank you again :blush: :pray:t2:

1 Like

A few framed ones might be a good idea so that people can see how they will look when framed up or buy them already framed if they want to. I found you the craft fair tips from the blog - worth a read
http://blog.folksy.com/category/seller-tips/craft-fair-advice
and my other top tip is business cards - lots of business cards.

1 Like

I am in the same position with my photography. I am actively considering the option of unframed prints with framed and / or mounted examples on my display boards. As far as I can see framing is fraught with many problems ;

• Cost of stock is far higher with frames , good ones are not cheap.
  • People may like the print but not buy because they don’t like the frame.
    -Framing prints is (for me anyway) stressful and time consuming - getting that speck of dust off the glass grr.
    That’s my 2 pennorth anyway.
    Plus one for fee free card readers , I wonder how long traditional payment providers can resist their rise !

Good luck with your enterprise.

1 Like

I don’t sell Art either, but as a customer, I would like to see both options. The unframed items will be lighter for me to carry, especially if I’m carrying other bags too. And I can frame them according to my taste.

If I like something framed, that means that I won’t have to find someone else to do this for me. And if I’m buying for someone else, it will be so much easier to give as a gift. In that case, small items framed might be much better.

1 Like

again, firstly welcome to Folksy.
I spent years doing fairs and there is some good advice above.
Most customer prefer to buy their own frames to go with their decor…loving a painting that is in a frame that clashes with the colours in their home, might put them off.
I found that most people prefer to buy originals…(you can buy prints anywhere.)…they also love the idea that they have met the actual artist.
I agree that it might be a good idea to take a couple of separate frames to show what a framed painting might look like and you can always sell the frame too if they want it.
Also, if you have them, some separate mounts…
Don;t forget your business cards, and flyers for Folksy, so that people who hum and ha can take a look in your shop when they get home…
I also like to paint (not everyone likes being watched) but it does fascinate people if they can watch a demo.
Hope some of that helps…and lovely to see you on the art chat thread x

1 Like

Thank you so much, this advice is great. I am so glad I asked on here. I have an art folder full of watercolour painting so I will have a look through and be brave and try and sell some originals as well. I am not sure why I am hanging on to them. I think it is probably because the first people who approached me and asked to buy my work asked for prints.

Thank you for replying x :grinning:

1 Like

Brilliant thank you, I think I am going to have a few framed. And a few frames available and mounts. I can’t wait to get started :grinning:.

Thank you for replying x

1 Like

Yes, I think I am going to have a just few frames available now And mounts but mainly just the painting or print.

I need to order some business cards as well. Thank you x

2 Likes

Hi Hannah, I sell wildlife art in CP, pastels, oil and acrylic in a range of sizes. Here are a couple of points I find works at fairs:

1. I have both framed, unframed originals - originals sell better than prints particularly at quality art fairs.

2. Have a range of size of paintings and have a clear idea of the style/subjects of paintings you do, so that it makes you unique.

3. I have invested in a couple of print holders so that people can flick through the unframed originals which I price individually and also any prints.

4. Be prepared to talk about your art, people like to ask questions

As to display, it really depends on the type of stand you have. Is it just a table? People like to see works hanging up so that they can visualise what it will look like on the wall. Old display screens work well, but make sure people are aware of any feet/base sticking out so as not to provide a trip hazard, Talking of which check whether you need third party insurance many event organisers prefer that the seller has their own.

Hope this helps and good luck with your events, they are great fun and a great way to meet other artists.