To Frame or not to Frame

What is the consensus of opinion on if it’s better to frame or not?

As I sell cards it’s not a question I need to ask :slight_smile: but framed pictures weigh more which would probably increase postage and I believe Royal Mail don’t allow breakage claims for glass items. Don’t know if that helps you decide :slight_smile:

I sell both types here on Folksy and my first sale ever was a framed picture (no problems shipping it) but since then I’ve only sold prints. I think probably best to give people the choice and see what works best for you. :smile:

I sell mounted prints online. If someone wants me to frame it for them, they ask and I do. While it drastically increases postage I haven’t had any issues with posting glass frames with Royal Mail (Parcel Force).
I rarely list framed prints online- sometimes do and they do sell- but I can’t really be bothered with the hassle. It’s a whole lot more of an effort when it comes to packaging it up, and then usually costs me around £13-£15 postage on top of that. And I don’t usually charge the full amount for postage when it’s that much as I think that’s quite unrealistic to ask.
99% of the time I sell mounted prints- I find they sell better than even cheaper unmounted options.

I prefer to buy my art unframed so that I can get it framed to match the rest of the art I already have.
Sasha

3 Likes

I agree with Sasha, I buy art unframed as not only is it far cheaper but I can frame it to my own taste

1 Like

Agree with Sasha and Louisa, it’s easier for us to send unframed work and leave the buyer to choose mounts and frames to their taste.

1 Like

i would say unframed is better as tastes are so different.

Many many thanks to everyone’s kind replies. I do definely agree that not to frame is the best but wanted to see what more experienced sellers thought. It makes sense that everyone has their own taste and having the wrong frame would surely scupper the sale. Thanks once again for all your prompt replies.

I always prefer unframed as a frame is down to personal taste and also the decor of the room a picture will hang in.

I design prints and sell them here. I don’t think Id ever sell them with frames due to possible breakages in the post.
I used to sell the prints on their own and had a few sales years back. I then had the bright idea of adding professionally cut mount frames so they could then be put into the customers own frame, but I haven’t sold any of those.
Prices have even been reduced to see if that changes anything, but still nothing.
https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition/collections/131971
Maybe the print subject matter isn’t to peoples tastes.
Do print makers/artists find that the image subject effects sales?

I only sell unframed paintings…(although sometimes with a mount)
I have a horror of dealing with glass and the added weight could also cause more problems.
I also agree with Margaret that people prefer to choose frames to match their decor. no one has ever asked me to frame a painting for them, so I am happy to stick with selling them unframed.

I’ve had so much feedback that I feel I must thank everyone again. We are all of the same opinion so that’s good.

In reply to PoisonedAppleJewellry, I suppose it is always down to people’s taste but there are so many different ideas everything must suit somebody. It’s just the problem of being found among so many alternatives. My tags were hopeless, Sasha Garret pointed me in the right direction. I re titled everything then Folksy brought back the Tags which helps. Viewings have increased but no sales on Folksy yet. I HAD MY FIRST SALE ON ETSY YESTERDAY I’m still a newbie so it’s an excitement and I would really like to get going on Folksy. The trouble with more viewings and still no sales makes you think do people like what they see or not.

In reply to Brenda I am intrigued by the name Gewddus Art must be Welsh?

Well many thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.

I have spent a lifetime asking this question. As an artist, unless the painting or item is delicate i.e.: pastel, I leave them unframed, or mounted only,however I think this doesn’t always bring so much pleasure to the recipient. The trouble is people baulk at the cost of postage on a framed piece, and crating is very expensive. I do frame and crate for high end paintings where the frame is part of the design.