Folksy front page...all change!

Completely agree with the blurry pictures!
With the randomness of the recently listed square, there have been quite a few blurry photos this morning!

Sarah x

2 Likes

I think the one thing that would keep its craft sellers happy - all of them - is sales, and lots of them! If changing the FP to attract more buyers is the way, Iā€™m all for it. Yes, itā€™s lovely to be on the front page, it gives us a boost even when itā€™s just for a fleeting moment, but thatā€™s not necessarily going to attract more buyers or make them spend money here. Folksy needs to grow to compete, and to please the buyers first, not the sellers, otherwise we all lose out.
I used to think that by having an eclectic mix of items and shops featured on the FP it would attract more buyers to the site, but Iā€™m not sure that works now - as a buyer too (not as often now, but still occasionally) I do prefer to see a simple, well laid out page, with clear headings and easy navigation. If I see too much, I end up switching off and going elsewhere - not the best way to part me with my cash :smile:

4 Likes

Yeah I agree with this completely. I think the old way was too overwhelming. I would like to see Folksy be a more recognisable brand, and attract some casual shoppers as well as the people who are familiar with it. The way to do that is easy layout and search options.
In the end that will benefit the shops too, because we will have the added people coming to Folksy as well as to our shops.

2 Likes

Easy is always the best itā€™s an industry recognized fact that if a new comer has to do more than 3 clicks to get where they want to be theyā€™ll leave a site and are unlikely to return.

Also if it looks too cluttered, confusing, no clear way to start looking theyā€™ll leave the page as well.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a shame people who donā€™t have a Folksy account will not see the pinterest boards :cry: wow something has happened to the emoticons?

1 Like

In fact Iā€™d rather they didnā€™t because those are just going to take potential new comers away from Folksy.

The main page of a selling platform should never show photo links to outside social media places as itā€™s your front window like a large front window of a Bricks and Mortar Shop. It should only show whatā€™s inside.

Once they click off folks via a pinterst board, or twitter, facebook theyā€™ll get lost they are elsewhere they are not in folksy any longer.

good point ! although when ever I have been featured on a pinterest board - I have usually sold that item and get more interest (or favourites, hits) so I guess it can work to your advantage also - even if they eventually click out

I am finding it hard to get used to it, in my opinion the pictures are too big and I am finding it hard to focus on what is on the page. I donā€™t have any problems with my eye sight but the bigger pictures make my eyes sore :frowning:
Everything I liked to browse has gone and between folksy and the dark side changing everything I am having a complete meltdown lol

1 Like

I feel like I have no change of appearing on the front page anymore. I preferred the larger mixed board.
Small sellers or hobbists have no metion at all :frowning: not even sure if im going to bother renewing my folksy plus account if no one sees my items. Theres only so much self promotion one can do

2 Likes

I do still think the pictures are too big. One of my items came up last night as it was sold and it was one of the biggest pictures - unfortunately it didnā€™t look as sharp at that size although it was fine in the shop size.

1 Like

I quite like it. I just read the Folksy blog where they have done some research about how easy it was for new buyers to find their way around - and apparently it wasnā€™t so hereā€™s hoping we see some new sales!

1 Like

Iā€™m wondering how many prospective customers see the ā€œlogged inā€ version anyway, unless theyā€™re sellers as well. If Iā€™m registered with a site I donā€™t log in until Iā€™ve found something I want to buy. I usually search for things by category or keyword.

I agree with @twinkletwells, small sellers will be left out. On looking where my items are, even after relisting, they are way way down the pages. Also the items displayed in the sections on the front page i.e. ā€œGifts for Childrenā€ have a very few items (90 something I think), as do the other categories, so someone is filtering and choosing what appeals to them, as there must be lots more items available.

Not very pleased with this change, if I donā€™t feel satisfied, I will definitely not be renewing my Folksy plus account and whatā€™s the point in being on Folksy, I will give it a couple of months, and if itā€™s the same I will be leaving this site. Ebay has mucked about with its site, and lots of buyers have left or leaving. We have a saying in Yorkshire ā€œYouā€™ve got too big for your bootsā€, I think Folksy is maybe getting too big for their boots. Rant Over Marg. x

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m the same, Christine @coatimundi, I usually browse first, then log in if I need to. Hopefully, this change will make it easier for new buyers to browse the site. Thereā€™s still only a small chance they will find our particular shops amongst the thousands on here, but that should encourage us to make our listings and photos stand out from the rest. The only sure way to get buyers to our own shops is to direct them here by promoting elsewhere.

1 Like

I think people are putting too much importance to appearing on the front page. One of my items is a Folksy Favourite at the moment but I hardly ever see it (in the logged in version). Do buyers really sit scrolling through the Front Page? What are the chances that my item and someone thatā€™s looking for that exact thing will come together? Itā€™s had 22 views since it was posted on Monday and Iā€™ve had one sale which was something entirely unlike it. I still have in my shop two things that have been Folksy Favourites on previous occasions and I didnā€™t notice an increase in sales at the times they were featured. I suppose I must be regarded as one of the ā€œfavouredā€ onesā€¦

1 Like

Perhaps admin should have a question/answer session at a specific time once a month or so to answer queries/listen to feedback about things like the front page.

Sarah x

1 Like

I think it does make a difference.
Whenever Iā€™ve had something featured on the front page it has not necessarily led to a sale but it has increased shop views hugely.

1 Like

I still think people are getting unnecessarily stressed about nothing :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am not happy with the change and I too will not be renewing my Folksy plus, I paid for this so that I can list my items quite reqularly, that is what I paid for. How does anyone see new listings? I buy quite a lot from looking at the recently listed items now that is gone so are my chances of seeing something new and interesting, I am in fact really angry about this, especially as Christmas is coming and this is when I do most of my selling, What is the purpose of this change can you tell us? I can see it can make any difference to you, but it has impacted our small businesses immensely

1 Like

This explains the changes

2 Likes