Handmade Items at Cheap Prices

Think I have seen it all now - necklaces on folksy listed at £1 each and even a jewellery set of earrings, necklace and bracelet in their shop at £1. What is the point of making stuff and selling it so cheaply.

5 Likes

That is crazy cheap.

1 Like

I think that for some people it is more about the making of an item than necessarily making money from it. There is only so much jewellery you can wear so what do you do with all the extras that you have made? Answer sell it on at cost.

At that price you have to wonder about the quality though, surely! I wouldn’t buy jewellery that cheaply.

5 Likes

I agree Louise, even mass produced jewellery made in China will cost more.

Some do it as a hobby and just enjoy it. As long as it really is handmade, should be fine. When I first started out, I was reluctant to ask too much. Its only now I am pricing my items higher.

1 Like

Yes, I know it’s a tricky one. Some people do just make as a hobby and want to sell as cheaply as possible. £1 is stretching it a bit though.

By the time you’ve taken folksy commission and paypal charges into account its probably more like 50p!

3 Likes

But once you make and sell the Taxman says you are a business you are no longer a hobby.

For that price I wouldn’t even bother to look to see if it was good quality. That’s the sort of price I’d pay for a very cheap plastic childs play braclet.

It also says the seller doesn’t care about their work and the time they’ve put into it. In the long run this kind of things brings down the standard and value of those of us who take our business, skills, time and crafts seriously.

9 Likes

I did search and did find earrings at about £3, which did look questionable and had loads of sales, unlike me Lol!
I was told on the other side that I’m too cheap! It is a difficult one though, pricing.
I would love to charge more as I do my making with a lot of care and attention. Like we all do! And people do say, people will pay!
So, I wouldn’t be too worried unless you believe they are cheating us with reselling. We don’t want that here, that really would spoil Folksy.

There are quite a few “charm on a chain” type necklaces about … are they handmade?!

No, they are not reselling and was not suggesting that they were. it’s quite obvious they are handmade.

I just had a look and found someone selling all there jewellery at £1 an item…necklaces, bracelets, earrings and sets. It seems to me that they are clearing it out…maybe they just want to get rid of it and are not going to do it any more…

1 Like

Hand made or not (someone has to thread that charm on to the chain) I think they would fall foul of folksy’s definition of ‘assembled’ (indeed the example they give is a mass produced charm on a chain) and so shouldn’t be for sale here. However if the charm is one of ones you can stick a picture in (it doesn’t have to be an original picture either so they can just cut something out of pretty wrapping paper) then that would probably be allowed.

I have some sale earrings at £2, but as I said they are sale items, the quality is not compromised.

1 Like

I have some items on sale from time to time but as you say - you make it clear when you list them that they are sale items.

It annoys me when people sell items cheaply that they have taken ages to make and probably don’t even cover the cost of materials. It makes those of us who expect to be paid for materials and skill seem overpriced! And I don’t even mention time taken, because I’m sure most of us don’t charge enough for that!..

7 Likes

Well apologies, but this is my shop you are referring to and I am having a clearout. I haven’t remembered to change the titles to sale yet. Sorry if I have bothered anyone.

No you haven’t bothered anyone Eleanor, just couldn’t believe the price listed at £1

I would also like to point out I am still new and learning so didn’t think to add SALE to my listings earlier. Perhaps in future if you have a problem, maybe messaging me privately and politely would have been nice instead of posting a thread about it? Am quite upset tbh as I had not intended to undermine anyone or annoy anyone, I simply have too much stock and need it gone. I am focussing on painting now, the jewellery is something that is clogging up my shop and I wanted a way to get it gone.