Home exposure unit (screen printing) advice please?

Hello lovely people of folksy. I was hoping some of you may have some experience in setting up a home exposure unit to develop a screen for printing. I’ve researched the basics of what you need but I would like to know what light source you used and what was was most successful and where is best to purchase? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you may have. :blush:

Following with interest…

I think Lowri of @twinkleandgloomart was experimenting with developing her own screens for printing so hopefully she has the time to share her results.

My budget has been far too low to invest in proper lights etc, so I expose under sunlight, but this isn’t an exact science. My first lot of screens went really well but recently I’ve been having difficulty with this method. So I’m not really sure that I have anything useful to add really, as my results have been so mixed. I think my problem is that I get impatient!

I know my son was trying to get a setup together and told me he was going to use a builders lamp, I’m not quite sure what he meant by that, maybe a halogen floodlight? If he has got any further with it I’ll report back!

Maybe it depends on the time of year, how strong the sun is?

I think you need a UV light source, of which the contact exposure units are quite expensive.
Depending on your screen making materials, I would suggest trying a ‘colour-corrected’ daylight bulb perhaps used in an angle-poise lamp (that most artist use).
Many, many years ago, I used that method for making silk-screen printing masters and it was very good although it took a long exposure (about 30 minutes) it worked well even for multi colour register work.
Worth a try!
J.

Thank you @twinkleandgloomart and @AilsaArts for the info. I can imagine the sun technique could be quite unpredictable if there’s cloud coverage and time of day etc. I had read somewhere about using a halogen flood light were you remove the front glass in order to make it UV. I’m also working on a tight budget so slowly trying to build up my supplies bit by bit. The colour-corrected daylight bulb sound interesting and maybe one to look into. Thanks again for replying everyone.

HI, to your 1st question, any uv light source that has a light length of 365 nanos ie fly zapper .Halogens give more white light than uv light .they will work for a short while. Every time you switch them on ,the filament burns weaker so your exposure times will vary over a time. also as it weakens the emulsion on the screen will expose but harder to remove after wards. pre=coated screens from sunlight stencils , can be exposed in sunlight and they have a use by date of 4 months stored in their wrapping in a cool place. hope this helps.