How and where did you get into craft markets?

How and where did you get into craft markets?
Any advice very welcome :slight_smile: Thanks xx

Hello, I just researched the internet. In my area there are several people who arrange craft fairs within about a 25 mile radius of where I live, so there may be people near you who do the same thing. Oakleigh craft fairs are nationwide but they are pricey as they only attend the bigger craft/food festivals. Lots of hotels and schools also have craft fairs, especially around Christmas so it is worth contacting them directly and the website Stallholder gives details of lots of events countrywide and gives costs and contact details as well. I did craft fairs last year in my area (Berkshire) and overall they weren’t very successful, regardless of what the stalls were selling. I would suggest maybe booking just a couple in a different places to see overall how busy they are. Speak to the other stallholders and generally the regulars will give good honest recommendations of other events that are worth trying (or avoiding !!! ). Good luck, Sam x

I’ve always been a regular craft fair visitor and always check out new ones when they start up. I chat to the stallholders and find out how well they’re doing, check out the standard of work on offer, the visitor demographic and the organisers, and then I apply to the ones I think will suit my work. They don’t always lead to high sales, but I’m reaching my target market and getting my work out there, which is always my main aim when doing fairs.

When I first started doing them three years ago, I first of all looked on stallfinder to see what was in my area, I found one and booked it just to test the water really. It went ok for a first time and then I found something else on the same site which was really successful and I have just booked with them for the fourth year running. Having said that I have done a couple which I found through stallfinder which weren’t that successful but that was the fault of the organiser not advertising it anywhere that prospective buyers would look. So really it is a good idea to ask them if what they’ve done by way of publicity, and look in local papers etc to see if they’ve advertised in there. Another good place to try might be your local schools, they very often have summer and Christmas fairs which can be very successful depending on the sort of thing you sell - I’ve just been and had a quick look at your shop and I think you could probably sell well at school events. I always make sure I have loads of less expensive items made up for the school fairs - just basic stretchy bracelets in different colours in a big basket which the children can rummage through! Hair bobbles, little flower pins, that sort of thing.
You may also find that you get approached while you’re at a fair by another organiser asking if you might be interested in booking at something they’re planning. They will probably leave you a flier so you can decide later on. Also like the above person has said it can be really helpful talking to fellow stallholders to see where they can recommend - or tell you to steer clear of!
I found that once people knew that I was doing them, they would tell me if they’d heard of anything going on locally, and it just built up from there.
Hope this helps! x x

I’ve done tons of fairs but I find them quite hard going, although I’ve had a few pretty successful ones. Am now in London and it’s really difficult getting into one (way too many other jewellery sellers :slight_smile: ) So will be taking the plunge and starting a retail shop in November- exciting! Looking for other artisans to share the space, so if anyone is keen, get in touch :slight_smile: (iheartkoreanbeauty@gmail.com)