Folksy Ltd

How can I acquire this awesome fabric?

(Stitchingarainbow) #1

I have seen this fabric on instagram, googling this image only brings online shop in US :frowning:
Does anyone have any experience in shopping in joanne.com? All I heard about shopping and shipping from US is very discouraging…
But there is nothing that compares with this beauty…
xx
Magdalena - rainbow and fabric addict

(Helen Dale) #2

ive bought loads of fabric from the U.S. and never had a problem. Some charge silly postage prices and some suppliers won’t post to the UK at all. But I find that the fabric is generally cheaper so if I buy a few at a time then it can be about the same as buying fabric here in some instances. I’m not sure what you’ve heard about shopping & shipping from the US, but it’s always been fine for me…and I am lucky not to have been hit by import tax on any of the items I’ve ordered so far (touch wood). So if it’s the only place that has it, and oyu really want it then Im not sure what choice you have!?

(Stitchingarainbow) #3

it was import tax ‘stories’ i heard, glad to hear you’ve been lucky :smile:
I don’t know i think i hoped someone will say that googgle was wrong and there is someone who imports this fabric to UK.
Thanks for help xx

(Karen Ellam) #4

I wish we had a Joannes or Michaels in the uk. I see so many exciting crafting goodies online only to discover we don’t have them here.
The prices seem so much better too. I think we get stung in the UK for crafting materials.

I did buy a polymer clay texture sheet once from the US and didn’t have any probs apart from the long wait :wink:

I hope you find a way to get your hands on that fabric. It sure looks lovely :smiley:

Karen

(Stitchingarainbow) #5

I checked now, and they only ship to US and Canada :frowning: :frowning:

(Sasha Garrett) #6

If the order is over £15 (~$22, before shipping) you should get charged a handling fee (£8) by Royal Mail plus VAT that’s due. Depending on how the company have filled in the customs form on the outside RM may or may not pick up on the fact charges are due so you may or may not get away with it. I’ve had them try and charge me on shipments where I have prepaid the VAT so they can be a bit over zealous at times and it really does depend how the customs form has been filled in.
If you travel to the US (or any where out side the EU) you are allowed to bring back upto £375 worth of goods (other than alcohol etc) in your bag before you have to declare it and pay vat/ duty. So maybe a trip to the US is in order?

(Stitchingarainbow) #7

I wish… Oh, just imagining me in this awesome shop with all this fabric…
Thanks very much for the clear information :smile:xx
Magdalena

(Sasha Garrett) #8

To cheer you up how about:
http://www.plushaddict.co.uk/moda-here-boy-zig-zag-bones-multi.html

(Sasha Garrett) #9

And since I’m a jeweller look what i can buy for my work:

yes it really is that bright!

(Marg) #10

I think I have seen this fabric on Eclectic Maker website. Try it, I think they sell some fabulous stuff, and if you subscribe to their newsletter there are special offers and notification of what’s coming onto the website. Marg.

(Stitchingarainbow) #11

Awesome :smile:

(Eileens Craft Studio) #12

I don’t really think we pay much more that the USA Customers. Remember the price you see on their websites is the price before they add their sales tax (net price) which is done at the till unlike here and the UK were we see the gross price. There’s ‘Sales taxes’ is different amount for each state as well.

So we get sucked in think oh it’s so much cheaper but of course it’s not really and we end up paying our VAT on it when it gets into the UK. Then there’s the Admin charge of £8 by the Royal mail plus you have to facture in the exchange rate as well. Don’t forget you’ll pay more in postage costs as well. So you really need to add it all up first.

Far cheaper to import from the EU or China.

(Stitchingarainbow) #13

I checked, they do not have it now but i will try contact them, maybe they will get it soon.
Off course I have found lots of other fab fabrics :wink:
Tx xx

(Dawn Sneesby) #14

I agree with Eileen, it is much cheaper to buy from the EU and China. Almost everything you buy from US goes in to customs when it arrives in the UK and the charges are the added 20% Vat and £8 for Royal Mail. Stopped buying from US now as I found what looked cheaper ended up being much more expensive.

(Pauline Hayward) #15

I’m going to the USA shortly and will most definately be visiting joanns I could bring you some back if I can find it. Is it just cotton fabric.

(Sonia Adam) #16

It looks like it is an anti-pill fleece & made in China - maybe you could source it there?