I had high hopes

That’s okay :slight_smile: I agree there is no need to be happy clappy all the time, and I’ve benefited a lot over the years from well meant constructive advice people have been kind enough with their time to give. Many of us newbies probably come along, fresh faced, full of hopes and dreams about what we do, and the actual reality is a whole lot different to how we had imagined. That’s the moment you gulp, and wonder if you’ve got what it takes and feel like a fish out of water!

2 Likes

well I have been crafting and selling for over 40 years and this is the best way for me to sell. I spent years travelling the country doing craft fairs and paying high table rents. I am non technical and so the thought of my own website (and the cost) ruled that out for me…For just a few pence I can show my art to the world.
It DOES take time to get noticed and yes it takes time and a lot of chatting…but I have made some fabulous friends on here and learnt a lot, both artistically and technically. If you ever have a problem, there is always someone to help you out. Sometimes sales are slow and I think I was on Folksy for three months before I got a sale, but you never know when the customer will appear…My fees each month equate to less that a few chocolate bars and no more early starts and heavy lugging of items from car to venue…to me it is NO CONTEST…
I sometimes get despondent but then remind myself how many I have sold and for how little in costs. I have been here for over 4 years now and love it.

5 Likes

Oo, thanks for the tip Helen. Just added links to my profile having found it difficult to get form comments to shops! Good tip.

1 Like

so really then, we should think of those fees as a lesson in losing weight? :laughing:

2 Likes

One thing I have often wished - if only it were as easy to sell as to buy!

:smiley:

3 Likes

I know it’s probably not very helpful, but I like it here…well, now I’ve gotten used to the new forums. Plus there are a lot more people here than there was on the old forums.

Sellers DO buy. If fact, I don’t buy from anywhere else and I’ve bought 11 Christmas presents from here already this year. I like the forums for introducing me to new people and if you post something, I will almost certainly check out your shop which raises your profile (at least with me).

It’s hard to sell at the moment. I had been unable to work my Folksy shop for 2 1/2 years, but I came back in January and I am having to start all over again. Back then I was selling 150-200 items per month and now I’m selling about 30 (though, I have to admit that that figure is unexpectedly much high this month for some reason) but I just tell myself that that 30 items is 30 more than this time last year.

Sorry, I’ve lost the plot of what I’m trying to say. Hang in there, I was here for many, many months before I sold my first item and now I’ve sold 2121, so something on Folksy must be working.

Take care, all, and best wishes to everyone who is feeling a little down with their sales at the moment.

Liz
x

4 Likes

Liz, I am glad you came back…I can remember you helping ME in the past…for which I have always been grateful.
Natalie…mmm…not sure about the losing weight…I can eat chocolate while I paint.
Just one question from you clever lot…having read Emma’s posts, I thought I would look at her shop but clicked on her name and the avatar but it didn’t take me to her shop…any clues ???
Emma, if you paint (which I am guessing you do…or something artistic) come on over the to weekly art chat and show your work…we would love to have you join us.

Brenda, click on the person’s name, and then on ‘visit profile’ that’s where people are putting their shop links.

@teabreaks at the moment you need to add your shop link to your profile yourself if you want people to be able to click through to your shop from the forums - if you scroll up a bit I explained how to do it earlier in the thread - in the post that starts ‘Hi Chris’.

Thanks for that off to put links to my shop now!

1 Like

Mrgaret, I tried clicking on what you said but it didn’t work…I did eventually find her through searching under her shop name…

Thanks for mentioning the shop link in the profile, some how I missed that but have put it in now.

I just wanted to say that making at home on your own can at times be a lonely process and sometimes a forum like this is a good place to share your frustrations. Just getting reassuring replies and a bit of support can go a long way to keep us positive, plus there is so much to learn from sharing. I think positives nearly always outweigh negatives.

I also think a maker profile of somekind is important. People not only like the “what’s behind the story” thing but also it is really nice to know something about the maker, be that through their profile details, blog, twitter. facebook etc. I love knowing who lives by the sea, has pets or a nice garden, makes great cakes etc :slight_smile: , nosey moi? hee hee

1 Like

I totally agree with Brenda about craft fairs! I did a few good ones but most were either not good or too expensive to make a profit. I was excited when I heard about Folksy about 5 years ago and joined up straight away to sell the few things I had left over from the fairs. Once my things started selling (very slowly, only 25 items in my first year) I was hooked and started making again. My sales now are way down on the previous year, I have no idea of the reason, but it’s still great value having a shop on here and other Folksy sellers are lovely and supportive.

1 Like

I sort of agree with most of you, especially about the self promoting thing; if I LOVED Twitter, fb etc I could spend hours promoting my business but to be frank, I don’t like wasting my time. I’ve got too much to do making stuff and being in the real world. I do lots of craft and country fairs but am going to stick with Folksy, my sales are building nicely. Unlike Etsy, Folksy (for me) has had a high hits to sales ratio and their staff are interested in their members. The first customer I had on Etsy turned out to be a troll and got very nasty, left me a vile review when I declined to continue an increasingly disturbing stream of emails and despite reporting the review twice? No response from Etsy ‘support’. Nothing. 2 sales in total from over 300 hits. Folksy gets a ‘like’ from me, slow build but pleasant ethos and their staff do respond to queries.

3 Likes

Hi Brenda, thank you for your kind invitation but sadly I don’t, well can’t, paint like I used to. I’m still at a stage where I find looking at my old work upsetting. It’s why I took up crafting again so I can indulge in something creative.

1 Like

Emma, don’t be disheartened…a lot of us started on here as beginners and I cringe now when I see some of the work I showed…but we are very kind and if you feel like popping in just to say Hi…you don’t have to even show your work…just join us with the chat…maybe it will whet your appetite and get you painting again…
we don’t have any rules…just click on the weekly art chat and say Hi !

2 Likes

Thanks I will do, I still sketch and do enjoy seeing other peoples work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

pop in any time…everyone is really nice…