Jam making advice please

I’ve made some Strawberry jam today, usual recipe, skimmed etc but now it’s in the jars it still looks a tiny bit scummy/frothy on top. My question is, should I leave it, or open and remove which I assume will mean I need to sterilise jars all over again. Any advice would be very welcome. Many thanks.

1 Like

Oh golly, no way. Leave it to set and if you do not like the scummy frothy top, then remove it when you use each jar. It is all part of yummy homemade and tasty jam.
Sometimes it helps to add a knob of butter to the pan to stop the scum forming.
Enjoy your delicious jam!

1 Like

Thanks, @bebbydennis, I do add a knob of butter and have never had a problem before. It’s set nicely and there was little left so we had it this afternoon with bread and butter, it tasted lovely.

1 Like

I used to make all sorts of jams and chutneys to sell at craft fairs, and I did read at that time, that you can scoop the scum / froth away (it is only bubbles) and microwave it for a minute or so (watch it doesn’t boil over) and you get rid of the scum and have more jam.
I bet your jam on bread and butter was lovely! I so want to make some now!

1 Like

When I make my chilli jam, I turn the jars upside down, making sure the lids are on secure, to make sure the chillies are evenly distributed, this might work for your jam. But if you use the waxed disks they do tend to float within the jam.

1 Like

Thank Marg, I don’t use wax discs so I might try it with one jar to see what happens.

Definitely leave it. Even if you scoop the froth off before you eat it, it will be better than risking germs getting in.
I :heart:strawberry jam!

1 Like

I think it’s air bubbles rather than scum so I’m going to leave it, as everyone suggests as it seems to be settling down. It’s only for our own use and it tastes delicious. Can’t wait for the Raspberries to be ready. Yum.

Did you use preserving sugar? that’s meant to be better for reducing scum.

Talking of jam, has anyone tried making rhubarb and black currant, I’ve seen a recipe in my jam book and thought I might try it out.

1 Like

Thanks Amy, yes I used preserving sugar. I had to wait in the house today and the jars were looking at me so I gave in and boiled again for a couple more minutes and that did the trick. A bit of a phaff sterilising the jars again but had to be done. I’m happy now.
I have done Blackcurrant, delish, and so easy to do, but not tried it with rhubarb. Give it a go and let us know what it’s like.

It’s pouring with rain here this morning, perfect jam making weather! I will report back :grinning:

2 Likes

Here is the start of the process, it all looks delicious :grinning:

1 Like

I bet it smells lovely.

Yes it did, all finished now, can’t wait to try some :grinning: well obviously I had to lick the spoon!

1 Like

Cook’s perks. :smile:

1 Like

I’ve made rhubarb and vanilla jam - totally delicious. Have just prepared the strawberries to make jam tomorrow. How was the rhubarb and blackcurrant jam?
Suzzie x

2 Likes

Rhubarb and vanilla sounds delicious, I will have to make some next time.
The rhubarb and black currant was great, it was a simple way of using up a glut of fruit in the freezer with some added rhubarb from the garden :grinning:

1 Like

I also made rhubarb, raspberry and orange blossom jelly, like the Robinson’s cordial, beyond delicious!! Know what you mean about using up last year’s glut of fruit in the freezer before you pile this years on top! All our blackcurrants go with apple in a crumble or pie, no little seeds like with blackberries. Happy jam making xx

2 Likes

I bought apricots from the market, too many to eat, so I stewed a few, not quite jam, and then made a few tarts. Sorry can’t give a picture, yes I’ve gobbled them all! they were delicious.

2 Likes

Rhubarb and Ginger isn’t bad either.

I’m not making jam this year even thought I’m drowning in apples and pears. I’ve made chocolate and pear cake, apple cakes, apple and pear cake, apple and sultana cake, crumbles, stewed fruit, cut up fruit into tubs into the freezer still have fruit left from last year.
Oh and done some bottling of pears and apples as well.

Never had so many apples or pears before. Not so great this year on victoria plum, my wild plums, my greengage or my yellow gages though.