Jewellery makers , silver and Gems Royal mail prices

You may already know this but for those that don’t you may be interested to know.

Royal mails Recorded service no longer cover precious metal and gems in jewellery up to the value of £50 The recorded service will cover only to £20, I’ve still managed to get some items through pretending their value is lower, but this could prove expensive should an item go missing.

They do however try to push you into using their next day special (costly but worth it if the items is £70 plus)
but who want to pay for that.

I’ve been looking at other services but wondered which you use and have found reliable and not expensive
Jax x

2 Likes

That’s terrible. I really think royal mail likes making life hard.
How much is some day delivery

Hi Jax, have found exactly the same problem so have been taking the chance on items priced £50.00 and below and charging next day special delivery on items above - will be sticking with Royal Mail for convenience sake but would be interested to hear of any alternatives. Heather x

1 Like

Paypal provides ‘seller protection’ which covers against fraud and an item going missing in the post. To be covered the item needs to have been paid for via paypal, you need to have proof the item was sent, proof that the item was recieved and it has to be sent to the address registered with the paypal account. So using the royal mail recorded/ signed for service should meet their (paypal’s) requirements so long as you are sending to the registered address even though Royal Mail wouldn’t cover it. Never actually tried claiming for a lost item using this though.
Sasha

2 Likes

I Know @hobbitgirlie1880 it from £6. odd plus, shocking

Wow that’s experience.

1 Like

That’s interesting @SashaGarrett, I always provide the proof of postage and add this to papal on the buyers payment details, but never bought the postage through paypay, so guess that would be one way around it providing the full item amount was covered.

I know heather @adienandirisblue it seems silly charging for next day when the item is less than £50, i complained to company yesterday for wanting to charge me over £7 postage for items totaling £18 and yes that was a UK seller :-\ needless to say i emptied my basket :smile:

Sorry I obviously didn’t explain it clearly - you still buy the postage from Royal Mail but you need to get the proof of postage which you get anyway when you send recorded as it has the tracking number on it (along with the house number and postcode to show that it was sent to the correct address) and you need to send it using a signed for service to prove delivery. You would then need to provide paypal with this documentation if problems arise. You can get more details on https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security or in their terms and conditions. The protection only covers certain countries and from what I can tell reading the T&Cs the amount covered varies from country to country but for things sent within the UK the entire amount is covered. Never tried buying postage through paypal or claiming on the ‘seller protection’ so it might not be worth anything…
Sasha

Ah yes that’s what i do @SashaGarrett, paypal also sends a message onto the buyer.
I had to claim once through paypal when i was on ebay, the buyer claimed they had not received it and opened a dispute thingy wanting their money back, and i just had to send proof with the tracking number etc, now i automatically put the information on paypal.