National Thinking of You week

It’s National Thinking of you Week this week, and I was interested to find out who still sends cards or whether people prefer text or email. I’ve always loved getting cards, and it’s one of the reasons I began to make my own! I don’t think a text or email can compare with getting something nice in the post!

Here’s a link that explains more about the initiative for those of you who are interested:

http://www.greetingcardassociation.org.uk/news/gca-launches-national-thinking-of-you-week

1 Like

Never heard of it.

Is it another way for card companies to try to gain more revenue? I see it’s something the card companies have dreamed up.

I’m a bit skeptical of this kind of thing.as it tends to just be a advertising gimic to get people to buy cards from the major card companies.

1 Like

Undoubtedly as its been organised by The Greetings Cards Association, but I’m still curious to see if people really have turned away from cards and use text/ emails etc still.

My personal view is they haven’t - electronic comms are great for quick chats etc but I think things like birthdays and christmas are still times when people like to send cards. I think all email etc has done is it’s made it easier to say happy birthday to friends you don’t see much or those who are more of an acquaintance, but for close friends and family, I still think people like to get cards!

Cards, definately! It shows someone has taken the care to find a design that is sppropriate for you, and then the time to hand-write a message. Time is precious these days and to spend a little of it in a really personal way, rather than dashing off an email says so much.

But then, my Mum and I write a proper letter to each other once a week, rather than phonecalls, and I’m a big beleiver in hand written Thankyou letters, so guess I’m just old-fashioned!!

1 Like

I send cards myself. I bought a lovely mixed box on sale a few year’s ago and I also make my own. So I always have a card at hand.

I hope people do still send cards or I’m out of business :slight_smile:
I do sell ‘Thinking of You’ cards occasionally but have the problem that most people only seem to want them to send to a friend who’s had a recent bereavement, it would be nice if more were sent to people in need of support at other times (illness, relationship break-ups etc.) or even just as 'haven’t heard from you in a while, how are you doing?'
I also love to receive thank you cards/letters (my kids used to make there own just after Christmas to send to people who’d given presents, now they just say it in person or phone call ) I’ve tried selling packs of thank you notepaper at Christmas craft fairs but no-one seems to buy any :frowning:

I think a common theme with people seems to be time (or lack of it!) which stops them from sending cards. I think it’s also just a habit thing - so how brilliant to write letters each week @HelenCliffordArt, that’s so refreshing to hear and I might be inspired to do the same! I would love to receive a handwritten letter from a friend each week!

I sometimes write a small note in a card to my friend as I can never get her on the phone due to the long hours she works. She lives over 70miles away and I just like to let her know I’ve not forgotten her.

We’ve done this for the past 14years since I moved away. Which reminds me it’s about time I sent her a little note written in one of my handmade cards. I know she love’s receiving them.

Cards for me, I tend to buy cards when im on hols - so I have a stash of them. I also buy the odd special one if I haven’t got the right one to hand. I have sent e-cards but usually if I’ve forgotten or as well as a card - completely over the top but I really like Jacqui Lawson e-cards - the Christmas ones are lovely!