Need Advice Please - Is this Spam!

I need advice on a message I received this morning. I think it may be spam, would appreciate your comments.

Many Thanks x

"Simply Sewing magazine

Hi there,

I’m a writer for Simply Sewing magazine and I would love to feature your pink buttons in the news pages of the next issue. Would it be possible to send me a hi res image of them?

My email address is… and it would be great to hear back from you ASAP as my deadline is MONDAY. Of course we will credit and link to your shop."

I’ve had enquiries like this before and I’ve never thought of them as spam. Maybe do a quick google to see if the writer does work for them if you are worried.

No, it’s not spam. It’s free advertising! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is classed as spam as you never contacted them, ie it’s unsolicited mail.

It might be on the up but then it might also be some sort of a scam.

So I would do as Stevie suggests find the contact details for the magazine via a internet search and give them a ring to see if it’s a real thing and if it’s of any use to yourself.

Thankfully they haven’t asked you to send the item.

1 Like

I agree with Melanie. I’ve been contacted by a mag editor before needing a quick pic to stick in their next edition. If you’re worried you can check what the email address for the magazine is, I would think the person that’s contacted you should have that as part of their email address, i.e. josara@simplysewingmagazine.co.uk. If they have only given you a personal email I’d probably check with the magazine that they work for them. Although I can’t really see what the scam would be from a pic of some buttons.

Jo

2 Likes

I can see where it could be a scam if they’ve given a link that is a phishing link. Then you have all sorts of problems not just virus but stealing of information and passwords into your online bank accounts, paypal etc etc

From how the photo request has been written it looks exactly the same as the way I was asked by a legit magazine. If they had said ‘click on this and attach the pic on this link’, or anything odd l like that, I would have given different advice. But just sending a hi res pic of a supplies to an email address, which should be totally traceable if it’s for a magazine, I can’t see where there would be a scam.

1 Like

I would still check it all out first always best before doing anything. I’m not saying it is a scam but one has to think about how it might be one when it’s an unsolicited email.

Always best to be safe than sorry and check it all out first before even attempting to answer.

You never know and it might just be the best thing since sliced bread as my mother would say :slight_smile:

I’ve had the same email this morning.
I’ve had my buttons and bags featured in other magazines (Mollie Makes, Sewing World, Knit Today etc) and this is generally how I’ve been contacted.
I’ve already sent my photos over :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I get these sort of emails all the time (last one was yesterday), and they’re always legit. Sometimes the magazines even send me free copies as well, yay!

No one is going to contact you for a high res image unless they actually want to put that image into print. If they wanted to use your image for dastardly purposes on the internet they could just copy it directly from the website they saw it on.

It’s not unsolicited email in any way either, it’s a legitimate request. How else are they supposed to get in touch? Magic pixies? (actually that would be far scarier than an email)

2 Likes

I’ve had one person contact me to write an piece for a crafting mag with photos she only ever said brilliant just what I wanted.

That was it I never got told which issues it was in and no free copy.

Twice this happened to me by the same magazine. I only know the first one was in the mag because someone on here let me know because they were able to obtain copy where they lived.

I’ve no idea if the second piece made it into Craft Seller Magazine or not. If it was used I’ve no idea if I was ever credited for it. :frowning:

It has made me very vary I will admit.

The one that did keep me updated where Lets Knit magazine and my shop link was printed.

I hope it all turns out well.

Oh and scammers know what to ask for to appear legit so simply asking for high resolution photo’s is no guarantee of a legit request. Always, always do your independent research first.

I remember reading on the American site of someone who sent what was requested believing all was legit only to find their high resolution photo’s used on cushion covers and T-shirts instead of being used in a magazine article.

So it really does pay to do the research first. I know I’m far more careful now than I was before as I’m far more aware of where things can go wrong.

It’s sad now due to a small criminal group that we have all to be far more suspicious and spend so much more time checking things out to a deep degree now :frowning:

But isn’t it great when it’s legit and works out well :slight_smile:

Hi Everyone

Its genuine!! I contacted Head of Advertising of Simply Sewing Magazine. The lady who contacted me regarding my buttons is freelancing for them. They apologised for the email looking spammy:)

Thank you all so much for all your comments, really appreciate all your advice.

Natasha x

4 Likes

That’s fantastic news and well done :slight_smile:

Thanks Eileen. My shop has only been open for a few weeks, so feeling quite chuffed. Now I just need to stock up my shop:)

Just seen some of my listing descriptions cut and pasted in another shop…

You can ask them to remove your descriptions. Stephanie@berrynicecushions

It’s a copyright issue.

So sorry that someone would even think it acceptable to steal your descriptions.

Also copied descriptions do not work well with Google searches either :frowning: