New Kitchen what would you choose?

I’ve always wanted a kitchen that opens out into a conservatory, like Deliah Smith’s , though I suspect most of you are too young to remember!

I’m with you on that one SoSewMegan !! I always envied Delia’s kitchen!! Our kitchen is on the front of the house so doesn’t even look over the garden! We have got nice views from the front but it’s not the same as looking at the garden!!

1 Like

I would show you a photo of my kitchen but its a bit messy after I cooked and I haven’t yet had the chance to tidy up so a description will have to suffice. Its a white glossy homebase one with black floor/ counter tops and built in handles and tiling inspired by the work of Piet Mondrian (bit like this in case you don’t know the artist https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piet_Mondrian#/media/File:Piet_Mondriaan,1930-_Mondrian_Composition_II_in_Red,_Blue,_and_Yellow.jpg) It’s in an extension with large window, veluxes and patio doors out into the back garden so really light and bright and I have an oven like those on the bake off (but at the right height for me so I don’t have to bend down to get things out).

I got a new kitchen last year from Benchmarx and love it, so easy to keep clean with and Apollo Quartz worktop and a dream to work in. Chose painted wood units that way if ever get bored or sell the house the cupboards can be repainted

5 Likes

Seemed to remember reading hat was her actual conservatory they used. The production company built the kitchen set in there so alas it was all make believe. Still looked fab though.

1 Like

Carefully shot so the remaining mess isn’t visible…

the dining table is behind where I stood to take the photo so when we have parties you can sit round the table and watch the OH in action.

2 Likes

I am amazed at all these beautiful spacious kitchens, they are like showrooms to choose from. I think I’m more confused than ever on what to choose​:smiley::smiley::smiley:

As well as the kitchen your dog is adorable too

1 Like

Our kitchen was put in an extension that was approximately the same size as the (little used) conservatory that was there before it - the other half actually built a full size mock up of the potential kitchen layout in the conservatory so he could check out the ergonomics of it all first. (it was built in 2x1 inch soft pine, flattened cardboard boxes and a lot of screws) When one of the local kitchen companies suggested a different layout to all the others he came home got the screw driver out and rejigged it all to the new suggested layout which we then agreed was c**p and went back to the first one. The only thing he would change is the flooring - he still wants the stupidly expensive stuff we saw in Sweden but still can’t justify spending that much money on it, the samples they sent us are so large we use them as placemats!
Pan draws are wonderful, we have rather a lot of them rather than low cupboards - you can just pull them open and pick out the bag of flour (or whatever else you’re after) rather than having to squat down and rummage through a cupboard. Makes life much easier.

Thank you Melsey, he is special to us

I’d love a country/farmhouse style kitchen. I’d also like it to be in a farmhouse in the country. Now I just need to win the lottery and it’s all systems go!

I’m moving into a 2 bed annex on my sisters house in a couple of months. Currently it doesn’t really have a kitchen as such which isn’t an immediate problem as I will be able to use hers but I do want to put something in. Trouble is I am going to have to partition off one of the bedrooms so it will be a compromise between bedroom size and kitchen size. I’m not big on cooking and it will only be for me most of the time so I’m thinking minimalistic - will have to search around for some space saving ideas. I am having a very long kitchen worktop put into my (very large) living room just for my felting so will have to find a suitable worktop that will blend in with the decor for that.

Loving the priorities with the felting worktop. I think you can get some space saving appliances these days which might help with the kitchen dilemma.

Well felting is far more important (and more enjoyable) than cooking and eating :slight_smile:

The glossy cupboards rarely show finger marks, and when they do I have a special spray which fixes the issue very promptly!

I have this style of storage in one corner - it makes full use of the corner. They’re really sturdy.

I have ‘that kitchen’ (the pink one at top of replies); or rather, I have a completely original English Rose kitchen still in original condition with cream paint. The rather strange corner drawer arrangement isn’t in the original catalogue of units, so I suspect this must be a reproduction, rather than one made out of aluminium from WWII planes like ours.

The original colour schemes for English Rose kitchens were cream units with red handles/formica, or duck-egg green / cream, which tone in well with many other enamel or early plastic items from the 1950s/early 60s.

I would thoroughly recommend them, they are excellent in small or narrow spaces, the double sink units are capacious, one will last you for more than a lifetime.

2 Likes

Gorgeous! They look even lovelier in cream. <3

I would go with whatever style is easier to clean as I do cook often! :stew:

I like light colors but am always drawn to wood, traditional, warm & homey styles.

Good luck choosing! Sounds fun.

Thanks, I think so too.