Any bakers out there?

This may seem like an odd topic for the forums but I’m sure many of you crafty people are avid bakers too!

My daughter would like a tilt top mixer for Christmas and I am trying to find one that fits my budget - I have spent hours looking at reviews and best buy lists but am still no further forward. It seems the Kitchenaid is the one of choice but is out of my budget - I could just about stretch to the kitchenaid mini but wonder if it will be big enough. She would be using it for cakes, possibly pastry but probably not bread.

There seems to be an extraordinary wide range of prices - from around £60- £500+. I would be looking for something up to the £200 mark.

Can anyone recommend one that they have/use - or even let me know what to avoid or what features to look for - would she need a pulse function for example.

I’m hoping someone will come to my rescue!

TIA

I have a Kitchenaid but my mum likes her Kenwood. I don’t think the latter are too bad but you may want to consider what attachments she may like to get as well (eg ice cream makers and pasta makers).

Always had a Kenwood and use mine every day for some kitchen task. Added to mine over the years.

We’ve got a Kenwood ‘Chef’ (originally a wedding present to my in laws I believe, that time line would certainly fit with the retro look of it) and a Ninja which is technically a blender but the OH makes very good cakes and scones using it - much smaller and easier to get out and use compared to the Kenwood.

Roz, I’ve had a Kenwood all my life, well I’m on my 2nd now. You could wait for the sales? Or, a few years back I bought a hand held double whisk, they don’t cost much at all, and 99 times out of 100 I reach for that instead, its so convenient, if she wants things like the liquidiser you can buy separate gadgets for that too. I think it’s worth getting the kitchenaid or Kenwood, and until she can afford it herself, go with the handheld one.

Thanks all for the replies - looks like Kenwood gets a good vote and there are several within my price range so maybe I’ll focus on them. I am off to London at the weekend and will try and find a shop where they can explain them all to me, although it always seems nowadays that the sales staff know absolutely nothing about the products they are selling - your lucky if they even know what the product is without reading the label!

My friend works in Steamer, and believe me, what she doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing. And they get training in all the new machines. The staff usually have degrees, she has an MA and one has a PhD so, just pick the right shop and you’ll be fine. Mind you, there degrees aren’t in kitchen appliances…

Kitchenaid here, had it for years and love it to bits. Their after service is fabulous too. Maybe have a look in the sales?

Kitchen Aid for me…and I worked in the bakery trade in my younger days and we even had some in the bakery.

Most definitely Kenwood. I love baking and Kenwood is my best friend in the kitchen. It’s running for 2 years and it’s still like new. I know I’m a bit late with the reply but I can’t stress it enough how great Kenwood is. Baking hasn’t been easier since I bought that machine.