Folksy Ltd

Parents - do you take your kids with you to Craft Fairs

(Liz Clark) #1

…if you are attending as a business?

I had to today but do feel it’s like taking your kids to work! My daughter was ill too so we had to leave early, which wasn’t great. The organisers however were fantastic about it.

(Roz) #2

My eldest daughter always used to come with me to craft fairs as I sell her drawings as well as my own work so I felt it was only fair! She didn’t mind too much and used to spend most of the time revising for her exams so it was helpful for her to be away from distractions and it was great having a someone to look after the stall if I needed to go off to the loo or to look around. I have been at fairs where other stallholders have had their children with them and it seems that the younger children love it for a while, helping out but then get very bored and become a bit of a nuisance!

(Liz Clark) #3

I agree Roz, my son (he’s 8 this week) was very happy to help out setting up the stall but then got bored very quickly. My daughter is 9. When I had booked into the event I was attending my husband was free, but then this changed and so I had to have the kids with me. I’m attending another event this coming Sat and the kids will not be with me. I think if it’s a family themed event it’s not so bad, but not when it’s an event tailored to adults.

(Brenda Cumming) #4

I used to take my daughter to craft fairs with me and other crafters did the same and the kids would all play together. I used to take a pillow and blankets and they would make camps under the tables…
On one occasion my daughter was tired and fell asleep under the table and her arm fell out the front and touched a woman’s leg…poor lady nearly had a fit…rofl…

(Liz Dyson) #5

Fab story, Brenda. I always take my daughter to craft fairs, but she is a bit older, almost 18, and like Roz’x daughter she spends the time when we’re not busy (which as ALL the time at the last fair we went to) to do revision for her exams. I’d be lost without her. Not sure if I’ll bother with fairs anymore after she’s gone to Uni.

Liz
x

(Brenda Cumming) #6

such a shame about craft fairs these days…I used to love them but they are no longer profitable…much prefer online selling

(Roz) #7

Don’t give up on the craft fairs liz. My daughter is off to uni this year too but I think I’ll carry on, it will give me something to do instead of sitting at home missing her! I know they are not always profitable but I find them great fun and love meeting other crafters and having a chat. I have made some really good friends through them.

(Deborah Jones) #8

I don’t take mine, they would be bored in no time.
My husband usually drops in with them at some point, and they always manage to spend a fortune. They are very good at appreciating handmade and do all all their xmas shopping.

(Ann Chandler) #9

I often take my daughter but she is now 21! even so she often gets bored and sulky. It is handy to have someone to help me with the loading and unloading of the car and setting up and handy for when I need a break for the loo or a cuppa but it usually costs me money as she likes buying handmade (and home baked!) I didn’t do fairs when she was really little - it would have been a nightmare so good luck to all those who manage it

Ann

(Jacqueline Austen) #10

I took my (then) 10 week old daughter to a craft fair last year. I couldn’t leave her at home as I was feeding her myself and it worked out ok. The organisers knew I was planning to take her and put me by a sheltering wall, so there were few draughts and it was more private if I needed to feed her. I took her bouncy chair and she spent a lot of her time asleep by my feet. Customers thought I had a dog under the table and were shocked when I produced a baby! I even fed her from the carry sling - well covered- and most people didn’t even notice I had a baby with me at all. Older children do get a bit fed up, so I don’t take them for a whole event. Like Deborah @DeborahJonesJewellery, my husband drops in with them, they spend a fortune then go home again!

Jacqueline x

(Diane Burton) #11

My daughter has helped me at some in the past but now she’s at Uni so it’s a bit tricky :slight_smile: my 12yo son is usually about at the set-up stage as I can’t drive so Hubby has to take me but they tend to disappear once all the stuff is out of the car, a few times I’ve let him ‘help’ by putting things out on the table but had to rearrange them after he’d gone as I couldn’t make any sense of his arrangement (I tend to put all birthday cards together and wedding/anniversary cards together etc.) if they come a bit early to collect me he usually spends a big chunk of my profits on the other stalls too. I’m attending a craft fair in our village in June and he’ll have to come with me for at least part of that one (my Hubby is a volunteer at a preserved steam railway and it’s his weekend to be there) so I’ll have to make sure he takes his own money to spend!

(Tammy Betson) #12

I used to hate my children coming with me when they were younger, my son leaned on the table while customers were browsing and sometimes he would stand there with a bag ready! A little too keen to help! Then the boredom would set in. He’s now 12 and is great at helping me to set up and put away (now an expert in putting the gazebo up) but I do still prefer him to be somewhere else while I am serving. My daughter is now 15 and as we live in the middle of nowhere it is difficult for her to get a Saturday job, so she “works” for me, if we hit our targets she gets paid (like I do!) and then she gets a small commission for everything she sells with no help from me, its a great incentive for her and she also gets to understand the business better which helps her with her GCSE business studies. When we are quiet she revises too.

(Heather De Gruyther) #13

I occasionally take my 10 year old daughter as she is both helpful and very well behaved - but she soon gets bored really. It’s quite helpful though as it means we often get her homework done which leaves the rest of the weekend free (I’m all for multi-tasking!). I never take my son though - he’s only 4 and has the attention span of a goldfish unless trains or trucks are involved. I’m always worried about things on other stalls getting broken by all the small children racing around - it’s one thing if it’s a customer but looks dreadful if it’s a fellow stallholder - eeeek!

(Ellie Whitehead) #14

I had to take mine recently due to the teachers strike. They are well behaved, boy and girl, 8 and 9, but even so it is such hard work taking them. Mostly the other stall holders are very tolerant but I wouldn’t like to push it too much, it is easier without them!

And it does cost you a fortune in goodies when they go!