Folksy Ltd

Permanent blue

Didn’t want to start a new thread just to ask this but has winsor and newton permenent blue been replaced by something else,phthalo maybe ? Cant find it anywhere,coeruleum either.
Anyone tried rembrandt watercolour? Winsor and Newton prices are getting pricey and the palette seems to have declined,What watercolour do you use?
Permanent blue I use in a mix for black,it is far better than lamp or ivory for blackberries and elderberries,the way they stain your hands is not black at all,coeruleum is spot on for patches of winter sky.

1 Like

Hi James,

Can’t find permanent blue but cerulean blue is still listed on Windsor and Newton’s website. I had a look on one of the forums and PB29 from Rowney was mentioned as a good substitute. It is the green shade of ultramarine, and named “Ultramarine” on Rowney’s website, as distinct from PB29 red ultramarine which is named as "French Ultramarine. The forums indicate that permanent blue was discontinued “a long time ago.” I know that isn’t very helpful but may be PB29 or Windsor and Newton cerulean blue will be ok.

Sam x

Thanks Sam,you have told me it is discontinued so I can stop looking so that helps,quick rummage for a pen to jot down what you have given me and try that,I had a couple of huge tubes I have just used up so didn’t look and it looks like it slipped past me.

1 Like

It looks as though you’re not the only one, James!

Sam x

I keep ultramarine not only for painting but also to mix with epoxy to fake lapis lazuli for test pieces,the pigment is lapis lazuli so if perfection is called for a sprinkling of crushed pyrite or mica works well.This would probably be saleable on copper but I don’t bother.
Anyway,tried it and it mixes a good black so all is well thanks.

1 Like

Happy to help! :grinning:

Sam x