Photos - background/blurring/model

Hi everyone

Just re looking at my photos as I’ve noticed a lot of the ones that get featured on the home page tend to be on ‘blank’ and unmodelled (clothing) backgrounds. Currently I photograph against natural, mostly outdoors backgrounds, and for clothing I use myself as the model. I’m not a fan of mannequins but I’m wondering whether I should have more of those sort of photos as well. Also wondering if I should blur backgrounds and whether to include one cut out (background whited out) photo. First pic is how I normally do them. Second is blurred background and third is the cut out.

Any thoughts/feedback?

Thanks

I would prefer Hat only photo and background no. 3 for the first photo and pretty sure more likely to get selected for front page than with a body underneath. Use all the other 3 to show it worn. Perfect. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I definitely think the one with the blurred background helps your hat to stand out more and stops the background from pulling focus. The cut out image feels a bit flat to me it’s always tricky when doing that sort of cut out, maybe alongside blurring the background you could try brightening it some more or reducing the intensity of the colour so the hats stand out even more? I don’t envy you the task of product photographs for hats etc. good luck! :+1:

3 Likes

I’m no photographer but I feel that there’s too much going on in your photos, I much prefer the blurred background to the cut out white one, as loadofoldbobbins (great name by the way) said it feels flat.
What I mean by too much going on is your glasses, earrings, bright coloured top, even your lovely face, all take my focus away from your product.
How you get around showing off your wonderful hats without using yourself though I have no idea :blush:

3 Likes

I’d maybe try to find something to hang them on for the main photo e.g. a hook or peg - hard to show them off to their full glory that way but you could maybe pad them out a bit on the inside with something to get more detail in the shot.

I know ‘wear’ shots don’t appeal to everyone - they are great for showing scale and what an item looks like in use but some people find it off putting seeing someone else wearing what they are going to buy when it’s a one off piece - even though common sense says that the maker has tried it on and been all over it during making - crazy I know! I’d still show a wear shot as one of the back up photos though, maybe just not lead with it. .

2 Likes

Thank you. I think I’m going to try and do a hat only photo with a real white backdrop.

Definite consensus between here and another group I asked is for the blurry one, which is good because I like it too :grin:. I don’t think I can edit the intensity with Canva in the way you suggest, it’s not that specific, but maybe sth I can look at when I take the initial photos.

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment :grin:. Yes blurred seems to be the winner and I definitely take on board your point about busy-ness. I was thinking they added to the character but I can see what you mean. Maybe one ‘character’ photo and keep the rest simpler.

Thank you. Yes I read in some posts here some people aren’t keen on wear shots. Never occurred to me as I’m the opposite. I am thinking I might be able to come up with a way of doing them on a white backdrop sitting on the table with something stuffed inside to keep the shape. Just need to get creative!!

I prefer the blurred one and I prefer to have a model when buying something wearable.

1 Like

Would it put you off if the main picture wasn’t modelled even if the others are?

Probably not, if it was a hat I was really interested in.

1 Like

Thank you. Just trying to work out what the main photo really needs

1 Like

I prefer the blurred background myself. The in focus background is distracting ( for nosey me looking at plants!) and the white is too stark. The blurred one is perfect as you get a sense of where you would use the hat but not distracted by the background. xx

2 Likes

I have heard that about some customers not wanting a pre-worn item, which is why I use a dummy for my photos.

2 Likes