Photos critique please!

I really like your photos ! I think like someone else said you could play around with the background a little to sharpen them up maybe, I wonder if using a different coloured background could help ? your work is lovely ,

1 Like

Thankyou, I did wonder about a different colour background, I have lots to try this weekend, the feedback has been fabulous.
Your shop is amazing, beautiful and the colours really pop!

1 Like

Thank you very much ! Have a good week end experimenting !

1 Like

Thankyou. My shop has a few ‘old’ pictures of things I made a while ago and have sold so I can’t take them again. I can really see the difference. You should be able to blow up the images and still see the textures.
I don’t sell much on Etsy but it keeps my name at the top regional searches and people contact me in person instead.
Patsy

1 Like

Hi there,

I think your items are fab and you’re getting the right level of zoom etc; it really helps if people can see the level of detail in the things you make!

If you’re using an iPad you can get Photoshop Fix for free too, which is pretty simple (just remember to save to camera roll when you’re done!). You can heal out stray dust bits and adjust exposure to brighten things up (and twiddle with eg shadows to tidy things).

One thing you might think of is trying to reduce the shadow in your pics in the first place- I photograph in a light box with the top and front folded out to deal with this, but you do need decent natural light. I take pics using manual settings with a tripod on my camera, so I can have decent long exposures.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your feedback, your jewellery is so lovely and colourful and you can see every detail in your photos!
I think one of my main problems is that I don’t really have anywhere inside with really good natural light so I’m relying heavily on editing and trying to keep it looking natural.
I’ve had a good play around with the editing this weekend but I’m not quite there so I appreciate your help, thankyou

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile: yes, getting the light is a pain, I have to wait for the sunniest days :roll_eyes: I have my box positioned in the middle of the kitchen floor between two south facing windows to manage. That is the advantage of the tripod though, as you can use a much longer exposure to compensate (my camera unfortunately only goes up to 4 seconds).

I’ll switch my camera to manual and increase the exposure time, I wouldn’t have known to do that without the Folksy forum, thankyou :blush:

1 Like

Hi Debbie
I would love to read your tutorial as I can’t get to grips with product photography. Is it available for us all to read and if so where can I find it? Many thanks!

Hi @Chrishaywoodart unfortunately I am unable to upload the tutorial to this forum as I produced it as a Word doc.
However, if you are willing to trust me, I am more than happy to email it to you. If so, please private message me with your email address.

I have emailed it to @GoWireSculpture

Thanks so much Debbie. I think I’ll have a look at Gimp and play around with it for a bit. I have got photoshop 11 and I find it hard work, but hadn’t thought to try anything else! Scanning is working well for me at the moment with my cards, but I have thought I should put in photos of them actually standing up. I have taken on board all the information on this post and will have a go!

Hi @Chrishaywoodart if you are already a Photoshop user then this article might be of use for you;

The tutorial that I wrote for @GoWireSculpture was for someone who had never touched any photo editing software like photoshop before.

Hi Debbie that is so useful. Thank you!

1 Like

can’t answer the photo probs but your items are fab…love the little bird x

1 Like

Thank you so much :blush: