Postage free or not?

As many people have already said, there’s no such thing as ‘free’ postage - it will be built into the asking price. Which means that savvy buyers who want to buy multiple items with so-called ‘free’ postage from one seller will be put off, as they know they will be paying postage costs several times over. As a buyer, I try to avoid ‘free postage’ sellers wherever possible for this reason, and look instead for sellers who show the p&p price up front and offer combined shipping discounts. If I absolutely can’t get the same items elsewhere, then I’ll buy each item separately, one or two days apart, so that the seller is forced to give me my money’s worth by posting the items separately…! :smiling_imp:

Also, I’m pretty sure it’s illegal to state that postage is ‘free’, and that EU consumer law requires sellers to say that it’s ‘included’.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s illegal or Folksy wouldn’t be discussing it and giving us the option for it. What you must do is specify what the buyer has to pay to receive the goods before they place the order so that they are not charged extra for delivery when the order was placed.

Some of my items are listed as free postage in the UK (the more expensive items which ironically the research says makes no difference!), and I’m considering doing it across the board. My pricing structure was setup for selling in B&M places to take into account commission, so I could absorb P&P costs if I decided to on my less expensive pieces too if sold through Folksy.

1 Like

I keep my postage as low as possible anyway. But overseas is a difficult one to absorb so kept them reasonable. I am happy to pay postage, as long as its not ridiculous, and some are, I’ve seen and walked away.

@BigBirdLittleBird Hi Liz. As I understand it, from the government’s Consumer Contract Regulations themselves, sellers can only state that p&p is free if it actually is. If it isn’t (which will apply in most cases, I would have thought), then sellers must say that p&p is ‘included’, not ‘free’. If that isn’t possible (like here and on other selling platforms), then p&p charges should be shown separately. It seemed quite clear to me when I checked out the new regs, and my website is set up accordingly, but maybe I’m wrong.

1 Like

Ooh that might be one for @folksycontent to confirm. :confused:

I got the same impression when I read them up as well.

I’m pretty sure that it’s not illegal to state that postage is free. I sell on another market places where free delivery is promoted and I’m guessing that their lawyers would have checked all the terminology that they use.

I have had “free postage” in my shop for a couple of months. Not sure if its related or not but my sales plummeted about the same time…have just reverted back, reduced prices and added postage so will be interested in what happens next :smile:

I also changed a few of my listings to include ‘free’ postage after reading about it, but I haven’t noticed any improved sales/views due to the change. I even edited some back about two days ago as I was worried that people would see the price and then assume there would be postage on top of that so would think my items were too expensive! I’ll probably go back to keeping it separate as most of my postage is very low anyway so hopefully won’t put potential buyers off!

I experimented a good while ago with free postage. And it was free. I absorbed the costs myself. I didn’t sell my artwork at any different price when I sold it as free postage or not. And I didn’t sell as much when it was free postage.
As an online buyer, if I was buying a very small item I would be discouraged in buying it if the postage cost more than the actual thing I was buying.
I think for more expensive items that are handmade and one-offs that I would just automatically expect to pay for postage.
But likewise- if postage is significantly more than I think it should be- I won’t buy.
I’ve seen a lot of people online try and make money from the postage (particularly on eBay) where because I post things on a regular basis I know fine well they’re over charging just to pocket the extra.

It’s a tricky one but personally I would always just charge what postage actually costs. For my artwork in the tubes the size I use it costs £4.40 + the cost of the tube. I always wrap the print in tissue paper as well to make it look decent. So my postage is £5. I don’t make any money from the postage and I’ve had no problem selling prints with postage at that price and I sell on a range of sites. But at least as some people have said because they can see the charge, yes it’s extra but it’s understandable. And if people are paying £50 for a print for example they’re generally happy to pay £5 to make sure it arrives with them safely.

Don’t forget postage is not just the price of the stamp it’s the packaging as well. Also theres the few pennies paypal charge in fees as paypal charges on the whole amount of the invoice that includes postage. You also have to get it to the post office to post it. That can mean for some people who don’t have a local post office the price of petrol or bus ticket. Postage really means what it costs to package the item and get it from your door to the customers door.

Happily for me I have a very local post office 10minute walk away.

We really should be sending everything via tracked and signed for to comply with Paypal’s seller protection as well.

I don’t think we should have to offer free postage. As a buyer I only look for free postage on materials or mass produced things, I would never expect handmade goods to be sent to me for free.

Although I feel bad charging people I just can’t afford to offer it.

On another site I have used I did offer free postage it didn’t make any drastic different to sales. When I shop I do check postage costs, if it’s really expensive then I would look elsewhere but, if I can clearly see quality in a product I don’t mind paying the extra.