Postage outside the UK

What are peoples experiences of offering to deliver to other countries. Is it worth it :thinking:

I have only ever posted to UK and US here and the dark side. I buy postage online with Royal Mail, so forms are fairly easy to complete.

Wondering if I am potentially missing out on getting sales on here.

Appreciate any feedback

A growing number of EU countries have packaging laws whereby you need to pay an annual fee which can be quite hefty and not economical if you only send one or two items per year. (Germany is still relatively cheap at about 20euro (it went up this year) but france is significantly more expensive at 150 euro i think)
I have posted to canada and asia which was simple enough. But the way folksy has shipping set up means i would need to tick ‘everywhere else’ to include those areas and that unfortunately includes countries which i wont ship to so i dont have it set up as standard.

1 Like

@SashaGarrett thank you. I knew about Germany, didn’t know about France. Maybe I’ll just leave things as they are. I’m happier with rest of the world more than EU, as I’ve sent a few items to other countries when requested

If anyone is interested here is a link to a list showing which european countries have packaging laws and the respective thresholds before you have to register.

9 Likes

For the reasons Sasha mentioned, I only send to UK and US here on Folksy, but on the other side, I currently also send to Canada (only tracked, Canada Post can be very tricksy) and Australia. Orders from Canada are occasional but I send quite a lot to Australia.

Before the dreaded B word, I had regular orders from around the EU and also regularly sent to Japan and Singapore. I also used to buy quite a bit of fabric from Japan and the postal service between us was amazing and very well priced, but B also seemed to change that and clearly made it more challenging for Japan Post as it’s now very expensive to buy from there and although I do send to existing clients occasionally both there and Singapore, I don’t have it set as standard in my shop - just don’t have the same confidence.

I keep looking at the various rules for the various EU countries to see if I can get them back onto my list, but it’s complicated and probably not really worth it, which is sad. I once tried to send a post-B package to Belgium and had it sent back 3 times! As bloody minded as I was being in sending it again and again in different ways (including as a non business gift), it couldn’t get through! That was a good year ago now, so may be different.

I think that the US are the key overseas country to include, but would be nice to add Canada and Australia to Folksy.

1 Like

@thecrimsonrabbit adding Australia to the other side is an idea. I sent a special request to Isreal and it got there in 9 days.

@FolksyStaff is this something that could be looked into, having an option of saying yes or no to countries with a catagory. Or is it quite a major job to implement.

As I’m trying to get my shop seen, like many others are, this could be a way of increasing sales and visibility.

I have decided not to post to EU since Brexit. As others have said, it feels far too complicated now.
I have successfully mailed to USA and Australia from my E**y shop. Both destinations were straightforward. As I’m winding down in tbe other place, I will be introducing overseas orders to my Folksy shop soon.

My sales to US are good and generally the bigger orders on E… but I’m not sure how comfortable i am on here to do ‘rest of the world’. I would like to pick and choose.

If sales on here could get good then I would consider letting E run down but its not that good yet. This month E - 9 sales and over £200, here 3 sales and just over £20.

super helpful, thanks!