Recommendations for Vegan cake or biscuits please

I hope there may be some vegans here who can advise me!

My daughter is getting married soon and we are going to have a tea and coffee station where we would like to lay out some yummy cakes and biscuits. There will be lots of vegetarians coming and there seems to be plenty of ready-made treats that I could offer them, but I’m struggling to find anything for her vegan friends.

Nairn dark choc chip biscuits seem to make it onto lists of vegan-friendly goodies, but when I went to their website it said ‘may contain traces of milk’ so I’m even a bit unsure about those!

I don’t mind making a cake if anyone has a good vegan recipe, but I will have to make it 4 days beforehand and it needs to survive car journey!

Any suggestions please ?

1 Like

My friend has made the cherry and almond brownies and I can verify that they were demolished.

1 Like

I believe some Hobnobs are vegan (and gluten free) and some Oreos

If you google Dirty Vegan recipes, you will find his chocolate cup cake recipe, he also has a great recipe for Victoria sponge cake and meringues. All great looking when made, not too wholefoody and heavy looking like some vegan cakes.

If you can’t find them online I can scan them from my book and email them to you, so let me know if interested.

Some yummy looking recipes there Lois! @Beesandblossoms

1 Like

There are certain fig biscuits that are vegan, and lotus biscoff biscuits that you get offered with coffee sometimes. Bourbon creams too. I can’t help you on the cakes!

1 Like

I recently came across a YouTube channel called avantgardevegan

This young guy seems to have some good recipes for cakes and other dishes. I haven’t tried any recipes yet, but it’s another option for you to check out.

2 Likes

Thanks for your replies, you are all stars. I knew I could rely on Folksy folk to point me in the right direction !
I am going to put together a shop bought biscuit selection and having looked at several of the recipes, I think I can combine a couple of them and make lemon cakes with a cream-cheese-like frosting. I can make the cakes at home, take them with me and then ice them on the day. Trial run this weekend! Maybe sprinkle with chopped nuts. I was surprised how many vegan substitutes there are for things, like for butter and cream cheese.

And wow, how about the avantgardevegan? I’ll be trying a few vegan meals soon!

Thanks again xx

1 Like

Hi there. I’m vegan and my favourite go-to person is Ela at https://elavegan.com/
She has thousands of followers on Instagram for good reason. Hope that helps too,as with the other advice here.
Have a fab wedding! xx

1 Like

Here’s my first attempt at a lemon loaf with ‘cream cheese’ frosting ( two of the recipes combined ) and it needs a bit of refinement, but it tastes delicious! Next time I will put less mix in as it spilled over the edge a bit and I’ll add some decoration. I wish I could send you all a slice! I have put half in the freezer to see if I would be able to make it a few days in advance.

5 Likes

Wow :heart_eyes: amazing

1 Like

That looks great!

1 Like

Well, I’m getting there! I’ve baked another one today, this time put it in a shallow tin and have used vegan spread rather than vegan soft cheese for the topping. Sprinkled with golden flax seeds. The only thing I’ll change now is to put less mix in, these squares look a bit too tall.

1 Like

Just to let you know, my vegan lemon cake was very well received, and not just with the vegans!
After baking, the outside seemed to have a crust, but it softened up once it cooled.
I made a frosting with Vitalite dairy free spread, smoothed it on and then froze them in plastic tubs.
Whipped them out of the freezer when we left home, and then at the venue later, all I had to do was sprinkle with edible glitter and slice up. Success!!

2 Likes