Rent a shop/ shelf arrangement

I agree-the principle is even more important because it makes the arrangements people like us have with these places exploitative when they don’t take good enough care of the items we place with them. Particularly since they always take a fair cut.

Love Sam :fish:

4 Likes

When I had my items in a local gallery for sale any loss (whether through theft or damage) was covered by their own PLI. That’s why I’m questioning how this shop has negated what I feel is it’s responsibility. Otherwise it’s like being at a fair and the crafter would need to effectively sit by the exhibition ensuring no-one walks off with their stuff.

3 Likes

So sorry these unpleasant things have happened to a few of you. It’s very unethical for someone to present you with a contract that says ‘anything stolen is your responsibility.’ Really?? It’s their premises, they are liable for anything stolen from there. Definitely, look at contracts before you sign and refuse to leave your work there if you don’t agree.

I also didn’t have the best of experiences with leaving my work to shops. On one occasion I got my items back with an unpleasant odor so I had to wash them again and keep them for myself. I found them folded and not even displayed. On another, I went to the shop to get paid for one scarf that was sold and the owner got annoyed with that sale as she had to drop her commission a lot and I made 3 times more than she did. I also didn’t like how she had displayed my other things so I took the money and the rest of the stock and left.

There was another lady very nice to me, but I decided since not to approached any shops again. Especially when they don’t want to accept responsibility but would love to keep 50% when I’ve done all the work. I mean, how much space do a few items of ours take so they can charge so much for each item sold?

3 Likes

If I was undertaking such a venture, I would look carefully at the contract before I left any of my goods and also I would pop in every week (if it was near enough) and let the shop owners know, and carry out a weeklly stock check. That way it will be possible to know exactly what has been sold that week and the shop owner will know what money is expected to me. Also if my stocktaking doesn’t agree with the shop records, then it’s only a week’s sales that have to be checked by the shop. Employee error could account for your loss, but if the shop are not going to check their sales then there is nothing you can do. Theft from shops of every kind (even charity shops) is on the increase and a big problem.
It’s a shame because of the work you have put into the picture, but the size you state can easily be put into a large bag and carried out of the shop, and if the shop has inadequate cctv, shop lifters know this and target such shops. Marg.

1 Like

Hi Liz!
The sort of place I was using was one of these vintage emporiums, and I think the terms were fairly standard for such places. I would be really surprised if they had taken out an insurance policy to cover our stuff as the impression I got was that their thing was the cafe and the craft stalls were just a way of filling the rest of the space and charging rent for it! I would certainly hope that a proper art gallery would have some insurance.
What comes across on this feed is that there are a lot of places to display our work in public and all of them have different terms and conditions and different attitudes. It isn’t surprising that a lot of us find it so hard to find a place that works for us.

Sam x

2 Likes

Hi Sam. I agree, and I think good T&Cs would specify responsibilities of the shop and insurance and what is covered so at least when considering renting space you’d know where you stand. Interesting thread!

2 Likes