Sales vs. Promotion

I think I have one of your small paintings as your name rings a bell- did you used to live in Cyprus?

Hello Sarah! Yes thatā€™s me. I lived in Cyprus for 12 years. We came back home to England 2 years ago. Iā€™m trying to puzzle out which painting you may have LOL!

Itā€™s a little canvas about 4x4 very detailed, I think the main focus is a lemon, looks a bit like a tile, the artwork extends to the sides of the canvas, very pretty and colourful. Iā€™d take a pic but our cottage artwork is all packed up at the moment as weā€™re extending .

Nice to see you here :smile:

1 Like

Good Heaveans! @plainprimitives I remember it now. Iā€™ve just looked it up and foundit on a post in my blog dated 24th January 2007 http://indigoblah.blogspot.co.uk/2007/01/day-24-project-365.html Fancy you recalling my name and painting. Such a blast from the past. Thank you :slight_smile:

I do not have time to do much promoting my time is better spent on making. My shop over the way ticks along quite nicely last month was my busiest but here there have been no sales since the end of June. In June July I had to reduce my shop numbers on both sides to just what was ready made this was about 1/3rd of the usual number I had a very slow period but had some sales that had I have put it on holiday would not have got, as soon as I re added the rest of my items the sales immediately picked up. 30 odd items had a few sales but just by having 90+ immediately saw a jump in sales.
My other half has a shop over there with about 35 items in he has about the same no of sales as me but takes at least 4x as much money he hardly promotes and stays away from the forum completely. So it must be as much about the product as anything.
International customers so not seem to be as bothered by price as they are about quality handmade items . Roz I would suggest you just stock your scarves especially your more expensive ones and maybe blankets and more expensive items and keep the smaller cheaper items to sell from Folksy.

My goodness 2007! where does time go? Yes thatā€™s my lovely little painting :blush:

Iā€™m not convinced spending hours promoting even works. I am in the middle of completely doing my kitchen so not done any promoting at all for 2 weeks and had 6 sales, 3 from here and 3 from the other side. The same thing happened last year when I was doing my bathroom, was ill and when I was having " a fed with everything period" and couldnā€™t be bothered. Iā€™m not saying that you donā€™t need to do some promoting but Iā€™m not sure that spending most of your day works and I seem to get more sales when I do little or no promoting.

5 Likes

This thread got me pondering and Iā€™ve come to the conclusion that as with Sam @SamsGemstoneJewellery, I too donā€™t see much connection between my sales and any promotional activity on my part. I do practically zero. Though I do admit this week I succumbed and subscribed to Instagram after a friend recommendation. Itā€™s quick and fun (too early to see commercial results)

I find good search engine optimisation (titles, keywords, tags) does seem to play a part in the amount of views on Eā€¦y for example, but of course that doesnā€™t necessarily lead to sales. Here on Folksy I havenā€™t really got to grips with what makes a difference. One thing is for sure, I am more inclined to actually buy from Folksy myself because sellers are within the UK. Traffic from buyers here inevitably will be much less than on Eā€¦y but for people like me who like to buy ā€˜localā€™ then itā€™s the perfect place.

5 Likes

For any of you considering promotion using British Crafters: my package started 1st September and itā€™s now 8th September, and my stats show 54% increase in views compared to last week.