Search results

Hi, I’m a bit disappointed in the way the search function seems to work, as it doesn’t appear to list exact phrase matches to the tags on items, only each word seen individually.
For example, if I search for ‘white scarf’ the first page is pretty much full of results that have neither ‘white scarf’ in the description, or in the tags. However, they all match ‘scarf’ or ‘white’.
This isn’t much use because if I search for a white scarf I want to see a page of white scarves and not have to trawl though thousands of scarves of every other colour.

Whenever I try to search for something specific by using a phrase it’s the same, and I usually end up getting 10000 results instead of the small number I would expect.

Surely phrases should be prioritised or else the search function seems a bit useless, and we’re all wasting time adding tags.
Can it be changed?

5 Likes

Search isn’t intentionally this way (and didn’t used to be), it’s a known problem and will be getting sorted. Unfortunately it’s something that will take a bit of time though.

Until then, it works a lot better to just search single words and use the category filters to make it more specific. Instead of searching “white scarf”, if you search “white” and then select clothes and accessories > accessories > scarves, you’ll find what your looking for (with your item currently at the top of the results for me).

1 Like

I find that even Google search nowadays is nothing like as precise as it used to be. I used to use a preceding minus - to exclude words but that doesn’t always work nowadays and whatever faults Folksy search has, nothing can compare to the rubbish of an Amazon search. Lost count of how many wrong things I have ordered and had to hurriedly cancel when it has shown me something appealing but absolutely not what I searched for ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is a major flaw for customers though, and it would be great to know when this issue is going to get sorted out and get some feedback from Folksy. I’ve personally given up a few times when I’ve been searching on here for something to buy, as it can drive you crazy at times. Even if there was a better way of filtering the results you do get, that would be a help - so having the option to filter by colour, material, size, style, occasion or whatever. Search is a serious issue on here I feel!

4 Likes

I agree, an option to filter colour would be nice.

Wish i could help you but dont under stand it enough my self

Hi, after reading some previous topics, the basic search function appears to be a longstanding problem and is one that is really putting me off continuing on Folksy, or at least continuing as a paid member.

I have just been searching for items to add to my folksy friday board with the ‘thank you teacher’ tag, and even though I have just re-listed all my items, one of mine showed up on page 22 and the other is still yet to appear (I gave up looking at page 27). There are plenty of other items that when checking their tags have a combination of the words but not the ‘thank you teacher’ that I searched for - many don’t have the word teacher in at all! I’ve been checking the search for a number of my items and I’m having exactly the same problems with others too.

Is this something that is likely to be fixed any time soon? As a buyer it must be so frustrating to search for something and be met with pages and pages of items you are not looking for, and as a seller (with no sales on folksy!) it’s even more frustrating as I have no idea if my lack of Folksy sales is down to my products or my lack of visibility in the searches (although I do sell regularly on other sites).

I join in daily with lots of the folksy forums and promotions, I re-list all my items daily, post to Instagram, FB and Pinterest (I’ve even just joined tiktok!) so I know my lack of Folksy sales is not due to lack of effort.

I really hope the search function will be fixed soon, as I am loving the community on Folksy and would love to stay, but I just don’t see what the benefit would be with virtually no chance of being seen.

3 Likes

None of my items show up when Stained Glass is typed into search. They do show up when Glass Art is typed into search. Yet, I have both as tags. So, yeah, it’s FUBAR. Perhaps I should have Stained Glass in my shop name?

1 Like

It’s been like it for months :roll_eyes:

2 Likes