Selling to friends

Hello,

I would love some advice about selling to one of my friends.

I made him a bracelet which he loves. I found it very hard to make jewellery for men as I have always made it for women and had to learn how to make it out of leather which was new for me and it took twice as long.

I sold it for under my usual price thinking that he was my friend but it did take me a long time as I had to design it from scratch.

He now wants to order 6 and is wondering why I cannot lower my prices more for a batch order. I guess I lowered it too much in the first instance.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice in dealing with friends that are customers? I am thrilled that he loves my designs enough to order more but I do not want to say the wrong thing.

Thank you,
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I’d explain that the first bracelet was done at mates rates, just for him. Give him a price that you are happy with on the bulk order, and let him decide. There’s no point undercutting yourself because if one of the recipients really likes their bracelet and wants you to make more, you’ll be in the same position. And with jewellery word of mouth seems to be a good way of getting more business.

Hope you get it sorted.

Jo

5 Likes

Hi, I agree with Jo. Mates rate one off for him. Proper price for anyone else. It can be difficult with friends. Liz

Thanks Jo,
I will do that. I have never made commission orders before so not sure how to approach it all yet.
Sarah

Explain to him that, unlike mass produced items, there isn’t really a saving for you in time or materials when making a batch of 6 handmade items, they just take 6 times as long to make! Tell him that the first one was a special price as he’s a friend and it was the first one like that you’d made, but that you really can’t supply them at that price any longer - if he really is a friend, he’ll understand :smile:

5 Likes

I have to agree with everyone else here, I have made many items for family and thankfully have always told them before hand that the price will not be what they would normally pay if I didnt know them (I dont charge for time or some of the other expenses I include in my prices for them). It stops them from telling people the price they paid too and having them looking for the same price.

Do you know why he is interested in 6 more men’s bracelets? Is he in the business of selling handmade goods? Usually, those who are interested in buying wholesale will push for discounts.

I agree with the others, I would just explain the original price was reasonable / for friends to start with.

I agree with everyone else a one off mates rate.
Six is not something that you can undercut yourself on.
Stand your ground on your price
Good luck

Hi I think he is just buying for friends. I had a chat with him today and I think I managed to sort out what he wanted. This is someone I work with so maybe that is why I am hesitant and we are not that close.

He did also say as a passing comment that obviously he had exclusivity over the design to which I said no the design belongs to me and that exclusivity is something you pay for. Was this the correct thing to say?

Is that something anyone has ever done for one of there designs?

Thank you so much for your advice. It has really reassured me.
Sarah

1 Like

Absolutely right - the design is yours and you can do whatever you want with it. It is possible to sell a design, or license its use, but think hard before giving anything away.

As stated, the copyright in the design is yours, if you are the original designer. Licensing a design can be worthwhile if the terms are thought through in advance. It is always worth putting the item in a packet or a box with a copyright note and even “All Rights Reserved”.

Or failing that, on the delivery note/invoice you can have the note. Ideally, you should mark the actual item with a copyright note, but may not be practical on small jewellery.

I offer a small discount to friends and some personal contacts, and usually this is linked to quantity. For one-off sales, make sure you are still covering all your costs and making a margin.
Friends can sometimes expect too much and take advantage…

Great thank you so much for the advice. Now I know the best way to word my replies to him.
Sarah