Annoyed over custome made item. what do you think?

I was asked to make someone a set of chunky flower necklace and bracelet.
So iv made it and I told.the person how much it would cost before I made it.
But.they now don’t want it as they don’t wont to pay what I said.
Have you ever had this happen?

Iv told her as she is a person I know not to ask me to make her anything again as I don’t.believe she will want it. In alhonesty I think she wanted mates rates but I don’t really know her that well.
I’m not happy.
As she really liked the set but just won’t pay.
This is the set

I’m going.to list as half price.

It’s lovely! Why list it at half price? It’s not personalised so there’s no reason somebody else shouldn’t want to buy it. Always get the money up front if you’re making something to order, or at least a deposit. Any decent customer would accept this without question!..

3 Likes

We’ve all learnt the hard way (or a lot of us have). Never make something in advance of payment to at least cover the cost of materials but preferably for the whole amount. I agree with Christine @coatimundi, put it on at full price - you wouldn’t want your customer finding it and buying at half price!

2 Likes

Did you get written (could be in an email) confirmation that she was happy with the price before you made it? If you did then she can’t really go back on agreeing to buy the items as a contract was made. Whether you can be bothered to pursue it is another matter, it would probably be quicker and easier to list it someone will soon snap it up. I would list it for what you were going to charge her- its new and unworn so why reduce it? If you didn’t get agreement over the price before you made it then its up for negotiation, how much you are prepared to shift on the price depends on how much you want to retain the friendship.
When doing commissions I get a deposit up front for materials unless it is a very long standing and trusted customer (or a cheap item where I already have the materials in stock).

1 Like

It’s the first time iv made something specific like that. She told me exactly what she wanted and I wrote it down I told her how much it would cost and she was really happy.
I didn’t even think of taking an amount up front for materials. I’ll take that on board for if it happens again.
But when I showed her the finished product it all became an issue. She loved it but SHe wanted to pay £5 for that set.
I was horrified. Cos we had agreed on £13.

I think you should list it at full price, its beautiful and she is missing out.

I think you are right. I wont sell it half price. It is brand new and took me a while to make.
Thankyou for saying it is pretty.

Thankyou I think you are right.
I just feel so angry especially athe the only wanting to pay £5

1 Like

Don’t sell it cheaper! It’s not personalised so there’s no point in selling yourself short.

It’s beautiful. Someone horrible doesn’t deserve it.

2 Likes

£5!!! That’s an insult! She’s certainly not a “mate”!

3 Likes

Definitely don’t list it at half price, it’s pretty and I’m sure it will sell at the full price.

Iv listed it
https://folksy.com/items/6614504-pink-white-and-grey-flower-necklace-and-bracelet-set-

And for my original price
Thankyou all for your kind words and help

3 Likes

I wouldn’t mind, but £13 is a very reasonable price and £5 is ridiculous. What a nerve!

I am sitting here in bed nodding and agreeing with all of the above. Its a lovely jewellery set, and its great to see you’ve listed it in your shop. It must have been awful and really awkward for you to have your original customer change her mind on the price after you’ve taken the time to create what she wanted.

Karen

Its a beautiful set, I’m sure you will sell it to someone deserving at the full price, worth every penny and you have presented it lovely in its box.

Sue

I know. and she thought it was a reasonable price to ask. If I. Wasn’t so angry I would have laugh.

I’m glad that I asked on here because I didn’t know what to do at first and didn’t know if I was over reacting. I was so angry last night.
Yes it was very awkward and unpleasant.
Especially as she kept saying she likes it. Silly women huh!?!

Thankyou for saying it looks nicely presented.
Was worried as i couldn’t find any decent light and I kept getting glare on it.

Thankyou to everyone for being so helpful

I’ve learnt the hard way too. Always get at least a deposit first to cover materials. I’ve got several personalised items that were ordered then not wanted.

It’s a hard lesson to learn but I’m glad I learnt it sooner rather than later.

Someone once asked me to make an item and I spent ages sourcing the correct shade of fabric etc and gave up my weekend to get it finished, only to be told that she had changed her mind. It is infuriating. However, that was a one off experience - all of my other customers have been really lovely.