Signed For Delivery

Hello all! Hope you are having a lovely day!

Just a quick question and hoping for some feedback. We send out all of our items Signed for Delivery with the Royal Mail so that we can track and make sure that items have been received.

However we were wondering if Signed for delivery might turn some people off from purchasing since they will have to be in to accept the delivery.

What do you all think? Would you be turned off by it or do you think that it also gives the buyer the opportunity to check that their item is on its way?

Thanks in advance!

Julie & Natalie

Signed for doesnā€™t provide any tracking except for the signature taken on delivery and a note of which post office it was dropped off at, so not really much use to the customer.

As a certificate of posting is provided for free at the post office, along with insurance of up to Ā£20, itā€™s only really worth using for higher value items.

Many customers wonā€™t like having to sign for lower cost items, or the inconvenience of arranging to be in for a delivery.

Sarah x

2 Likes

I use a signed for/ trackable service because it means that the order is covered by the paypal protection in case it goes missing en route - royal mail would only cover me if I use special delivery because my items are silver and if you are just buying a pair of Ā£10 earrings Ā£6.50 is a lot to pay for shipping (most of your items would be covered by RMā€™s standard insurance included when you get proof of posting with first class post). I know of a number of posties who sign for packages then put them through the door thus saving people the hassle but that said Iā€™m currently tracking a package that has been returned to sender (in India) because I wasnā€™t in to sign for it and the postie didnā€™t do that (I didnā€™t find the slip until after the deadline for claiming it argh!).
When buying I tend to look at how much the shipping is in relation to the value of what Iā€™m ordering rather than what sort of shipping it is (ie trackable or not) so Ā£2 shipping on a Ā£4 card would be a turn off but Ā£2 shipping on a Ā£20 order would be ok (in my mind) but then I work from home so it is no hassle to reorganise delivery and staying in for it.
Hope that helps.
Sasha

5 Likes

I donā€™t do signed for on my Folksy items, I use regular Royal Mail and always ask for proof of postage at the P.O, that gives me insurance up to Ā£20.00. Iā€™ve never had a problem with doing it this way. :slight_smile:

I have used the signed for option but only if a package is very large, heavy or expensive.

3 Likes

I send every thing signed for. I feel it covers me a little, as Iā€™ve had things go awry before. When I used to send things without, Iā€™ve had a few people say the item hasnā€™t never arrived. My items arenā€™t particularly high value, but Iā€™ve spent a lot of time making them and they canā€™t be replaced as they are all pretty unique :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to send things signed for all the time when I first started. Then I realised what a nuisance it could be if someone was out and they had to go and collect it (especially if it would go through the letterbox ).
Iā€™ve sent out loads of stuff and everythingā€™s arrived safely (touch wood).
I would definitely send something registered and tracked if it was a high value item, though.

1 Like

I send most things standard delivery with a proof of posting which will cover them getting lost in the post for up to Ā£20. It means I can keep my shipping costs down and still have protection. I only use signed for if Iā€™m sending multiple items and the value is higher.

1 Like

I donā€™t know what to think now. Iā€™ve gone all year without a missing parcel, but in the last few weeks 4 parcels have gone astray, one from my shop here on Folksy and 3 from a different selling medium. I always make sure address labels are securely stuck down with cellotape as are the returns labels on the back of the parcel. I refund my buyers straight away but then have to wait while Royal Mail decide whether they are going to compensate me. I donā€™t like the idea of sending items recorded delivery as it can be a nuisance for the buyer, but Iā€™m going to end up out of pocket as 3 of the parcels value is just over the Ā£20 compensation that RM pay.
:angry:

1 Like

I used to send most of my items Recorded delivery for my own piece of mind. Although I do state in my item descriptions that I send orders over Ā£10 recorded but for people to let me know if itā€™s inconvenient- itā€™s surprising how many people opt out of recorded when I email them to check (I donā€™t think people read the item description properly). I think I might change my policies to orders over Ā£20 being sent recorded from now on. I just dread having a chancer who claims something didnā€™t arrive when it has.

1 Like

All over under Ā£20 you really should send recorded and tracked.

1 Like

Personally I donā€™t like signed for because invariably I am out when they have tried to deliver and then you have to wait 48 hours I think before you can go and collect them. I just send my parcels 1st class and get proof of postage and never had a problem (touch wood). I can understand though if your items are expensive there really is no other way than to send signed for. Twice though I have had customers contact me to say please donā€™t send signed for because they are out at work.

1 Like

I only use signed for delivery on higher priced items, everything else is Royal Mail first class with proof of postage, touching wood, I havenā€™t had anything go awry so far.

1 Like

I would go with whatever youā€™re more comfortable with. Buyers will accept the terms if they want the item, and itā€™s a lot less hassle for them to pick up a parcel than it is for you to have to deal with a non-delivery, replacement goods, refunds and/or no compensation.

I use standard first-class mail for items up to Ā£20 as theyā€™re covered by proof of posting (make sure you keep it!) and ā€˜signed-forā€™ for all orders over Ā£20. No-one has ever complained and, as far as I know, it hasnā€™t been a problem. Itā€™s just part of shopping online. Buyers can have goods delivered to another address, work or neighbours, so it shouldnā€™t be that big a deal.

3 Likes

Thank you to all fellow Folksy members for your comments. You have given us something to think about. We did not know about proof of postage, so maybe we will have to look into sending our low cost items like this.

But like some of you have said, we worry about someone saying that an item hasnā€™t arrived so we use it more for peace of mind.

The only problem is that Royal Mail donā€™t seem to hold up their duty and we have had to complain a few times when they havenā€™t put the details on their website to say that it has been delivered. But as we have not heard back from the customers we know that they have been delivered.

Oh the worries of running a business :slight_smile:

1 Like

I offer my customers the choice of standard or signed for postage, as I too didnā€™t want to put customers off with high postage costs. That said, it varies but MOST opt for the signed for, sometimes having them delivered to an alternative or work address. I must say though, this dialogue happens through email as Iā€™ve never made a folksy sale, so not sure how that would work here. But maybe offering an option could help? Xxx

1 Like

I receive a lot of parcels that are ā€œsigned forā€. I have never once had to actually signed for one. if small enough they are put into the letter box and if too big the postman rings the door bell and hands it to me and NEVER asks for me to sign anything.
No idea what they do if a package goes missing or is reported as missing, I often wonder if the post signs it himself

I only send signed for if the value is way above the Ā£20 small package first class insurance limit.
I find it quite aggravating to receive packages with a value of under a fiver which I have to sign for. On one occasion someone on Ebay sent me some sticky labels signed for. I nearly lost them as they arrived 2 days late, after I had gone on holiday for 3 weeks and were returned to the sorting office and by the time I returned they had exceeded their stay there. Fortunately sorting office still had them.
Without signed for they would have gone through the letter box.

Probably depends on where you live. Iā€™m rural, I know my usual post lady, she knows where to leave things if Iā€™m not in. Often leaves things there even when I am !

As a rule I also use signed-for for orders over Ā£20 or I may upgrade at my expense if I get the impression that the parcel goes to a house with multiple occupants where the risk of it ā€˜disappearingā€™ may be greater ā€¦

For me, itā€™s value and size.
As a customer, I look at the cost of delivery and have been known (on most occasions) to look elsewhere if I think the delivery is too expensive. If Iā€™m ordering something thatā€™s fairly cheap then no way do I want to be paying for signed for delivery and then waiting in for it.
Our posties never just post them regardless even if theyā€™ll fit through the letter box. they take them back to the depot and itā€™s a total pain when I can only go and pick it up on a Saturday and itā€™s super busy because thatā€™s the only time everyone else can go. Iā€™d not bother buying something if I knew that to be the case & iā€™d look for an alternative. It might seem lazy and daft, but I know Iā€™m not the only one!!

Alternatively- if the item is expensive or I know is too big to fit through the letter box, iā€™d happily pay more to protect the item (and the seller if something happens to it en-route) and if it wouldnā€™t fit though the letterbox anyway Iā€™d know iā€™d have to be in anyway.

My pet hate though is sellers (generally on ebay) who charge WAY too much for postage so they can make a profit on that! As an artist whoā€™s often posting things, Iā€™m well aware of the ball park figure to which things would cost to post, & it drives me mad when I know the postage should have only cost say, Ā£3.50 but they want to charge Ā£6 or Ā£7.

Anywayā€¦thatā€™s my 2 penny worth. Haha

1 Like

Ā£6 or Ā£7 may be a bit steep, but they could be factoring in packaging materials and cost to get to post office in there too. Also, ebay charges fees on postage as well as the item, then paypal charges their percentage on the whole value, so that adds nearly 14% to the p&p cost. Another good reason to use Folksy :smile: