The Great British Sewing Bee fever begins

It was good to see more guys there this year. they were really talented. I loved the trousers they all made, all the different colour fabrics, great! It is so inspirational.

Haha! @ciesse my post on the same subject, trousers, and almost the same time!!

Am I the only one lucky enough to have a husband who thorougly enjoys watching this programme too? He had already set up the series link to record before I even mentioned it. And yes, some talented guys on there, good to see a mix.

Didn’t get to see all of the last series, but tuned in last night and will definitely watch the rest. It’s years since I did any sewing to wear and it has me inspired to get out the sewing machine. Even so can’t get excited about making summer pants when it’s so cold. Do like the idea of a pretty dress with 3/4 sleeves similar to the poppy one … but in a fabric less fierce perhaps.

1 Like

I watched it, as did my 8 yr old son and 10 yr old daughter - they love watching the garments made and how they turn out. I had to send them to bed after the first challenge as it’s a school night, but they were begging to stay up and watch all of it LOL! Loved the poppy dress too!

I too have the urge to make a summer dress now after watching last night. I have been looking at patterns and have promised myself one when I get to my target weight :smile:

It deffently makes u want to dig out a pattern and make clothes.
Loved it and my dad even enjoyed it

Can you believe I saw a walkaway dress today at vintage fair. Il adda pic when i can.

I’m finding this series less interesting than the last one - I actually got quite irritated by the ridiculous tasks they’ve set, with such tight time limits, so all the participants will fail to finish them properly. And why get them to use antiquated machines? It’s pointless. I’m afraid they’re being made to look completely rubbish, through no fault of their own. I don’t think it will do anyone any favours - handmade clothes are supposed to be better made, nicely finished, well-fitted - they’re being forced to produce shoddy, unfinished items, which would break my heart if it was me.

I’m enjoying the tasks they’re being given - they have to vary it each series or people would know what to expect and practise in advance. This keeps them on their toes.

There’s nothing wrong with using ‘antiquated’ machines - for many, many years people used those exact same machines for making their clothed - at least these were electric and not ones with a hand wheel. You can make perfectly good clothes with old machines - I know from experience.

Yes, the time limit are challenging, but the contestants have the choice of working steadily, maybe not finishing, but having done very good quality in what they have achieved. If they choose to rush then they take the risk of making things look shoddy.

I’m looking forward to seeing the kilts made next week :smiley:

I agree, but only if you’re used to them. Having to use them under pressure, when time is tight, is particularly unfair on those who have never used one before.

That’s all well and good, but the ones that get ‘marked down’ are usually the ones who don’t complete the task, regardless of the quality of their sewing.

I would think if anyone were to consider entering GBSB as a contestant you’d be best off using any available time, before filming starts, learning how to do different style of patterns, with different machines, as well as learning how to finish and hand-stitch. Also, to time yourself, would be a huge advantage in working under pressure particularly as this kind of programme is about working within a schedule.

I’m sure last series they used vintage machines?

1 Like

Heres a walkaway dress I saw at a vintage fair I sold at yesterday

2 Likes

Yes, @BigBirdLittleBird they did use the old machines last series.

This is the third series, so people know what they are up against, and the programme makers are going to make each series harder, they do with every reality TV show. The first series of Strictly Come Dancing was very basic in comparison to what they do now, I’m a Celebrity is far more brutal, people get bored of seeing things at the same standard all the time, the viewing public tends to demand ‘drama’ - yes it’s nice seeing everyone happy and completing their work, but the producers want to keep the show talked about and the ratings up, therefore they up the pressure. People don’t talk so much about a nice happy little sewing bee, they talk about bad sews, tight time limits, the person who gets stressed by it all - c’est la vie!

That’s obviously why I’m not enjoying it then - I thought it was going to be about the sewing, not about ‘dramas’ and making people look bad. Time to switch off I think.

Love the GBSB!

I learned to sew on one of those ancient machines as a child. It didn’t even have a foot pedal, you had to turn a crank handle on the side with one hand while you steered the fabric with the other. I’m sure my Mum still has it in the loft somewhere :smile:
When you look at how many features even the simplest machine has now, aren’t we lucky?!

But I agree some of the time limits are too tight, leading to lots of unfinished garments.

1 Like

@rosesworkshop I have memories of my mum(in th eearly 1980’s) using one of those crank handle sewing machines, we still have it.

I actually learnt to sew on a very old treadle sewing machine - I was so small, I could barely reach the treadle, and you had to whip the handwheel around then treadle furiously to get it going! If you weren’t quick enough, the wheel went backwards and the machine unthreaded itself…it was a nightmare, but I managed to create some lovely little items on it, and it made all the subsequent machines look like child’s play :smile:

Yes, you can sew on any machine if you’re used to it, but I don’t believe it’s the best way to judge someone’s sewing skills.

1 Like