This saying is trademarked

Yes, of course, works that are no longer copyright can be used freely, and that applies to all art. Usually it’s about 70 years after the artist’s death, I believe (I’m not an expert in copyright law), but there are some exceptions.

I do agree with most of what you’re saying - most art is derivative and is usually influenced by earlier works or styles, and many phrases and modern works have their origins in historical writings.

I disagree that it’s ‘the entire poem, song or novel that’s the artwork’ - that would imply that I could copy and sell a verse of a poem, or a chapter of a book, or a section of a painting as long as it wasn’t the whole thing. I’m not sure many artists would be happy with that. Where to draw the line is difficult - should it be a whole verse, a whole line, a few words?

Yes, it does all come down to money - but that’s exactly why people want to use these popular phrases…to make money from them. So is it the artist that is being greedy in protecting their work, or the copyists who are trying to make a quick buck by ‘stealing’ someone else’s ideas?

Personally, I’d rather stick to being as original as I can (ok, I know there’s nothing really new in the world - it’s all been done before!) and keep away from anything that I know is copyright-protected.

4 Likes

I have noticed on Google Analytics this last couple of weeks I keep getting a bot about 3 times a day. The referral name is Copyright.org and the location is Russia, do you think they are looking in to shops to see if any are stealing images or text.

1 Like

Hi Dawn

I’m annoyingly getting lots of those everyday too. It’s nothing to worry about, it’s just a spam bot trying to get people to look at their dodgy site and improve their Google ranking, they’re not actually looking in our shops.

Natalie x

2 Likes

It all gets a bit hairy doesn’t it, as you say the phrase has no doubt been used for hundreds of years 1000’s, maybe the first to use the phrase were the apes, we don’t know, but I don’t think they had lawyers who trademarked their words so then who is stealing from who ?

Anyway i hope some of the makers managed to find this thread and it helps keep them from what could be a hole heap of stress, if they did … Job done :smile:

2 Likes

This is a spam bot. It’s got the name “copyright claims” to encourage you to click on it (clever eh?). I only found this out via the forum yesterday, but it’s as well to give everybody else the heads up!

Love Sam x