Updates to the Homepage

I think it’s important to keep bulk relists available and then exclude them from the front page. Some relists are genuinely new items, for example my pet portraits - when I’ve sold one I relist it. I’m willing to sacrifice having the genuine ones on the front page so that I can continue to relist a page a day of my other items without clogging up the front page.

2 Likes

Thanks for flagging that up! We’ll need to think about a solution for that.

This is a great idea. The problem with group boards is that we would need to invite people individually to each one, which would take ages if everyone wanted a crack at it (which we hope they would!). So it might work for a longer-term board or gift guide but probably not for a weekly theme, unless we restricted the group size each time, or if you organised your own groups and submitted group boards to us. Worth thinking about!

I don’t tend to look at the pinterest section as often the one on there hangs around for days and days - if it changed daily at least, I’d have been more interested but the same stuff for four days? I just skipped it most of the time because of that single issue, so I’m not sad to see it go, personally. I do love the idea of guest curators for the gift guides, or themed collections. Maybe Folksy could ask for volunteers to do this - I bet you’d get loads (self included).

I am no techno whizz, but cant Folksy staff release the theme for a board midnight Sunday / Monday, and we Folksers ‘pin’ our finds from other peoples boards on it. This then helps everyone as we all follow / favourite / heart, different people, different crafts. Over the week the board gets full and we have a wonderful montage of beautifully crafted goodies that we may never have found. This then shows visitors and potential customers what we like as well. Just thinking aloud…

1 Like

Shame about the demise of the Pinterest board.
We enjoyed making them as it ‘flexed’ our graphic designer muscles and it was a great tea break activity :smile:

Agree with others here that having other contrubutors to the FP picks rather than just Folksy bods, (even though your taste is impeccable), helps give an extra dimension to the FP.

Maybe a forum thread of items, (both own creations and other inspiring finds), could be started and admin use the suggestions for a sellers curated gift guide?

3 Likes

The Pinterest section was changed every week day so only hung about at weekends and bank holidays. That’s why I liked it as it was always changing.

3 Likes

I don’l like having the New listings from my favourite shops on the front page. I really don’t need it to be there. My favourites are already covered by my Favourites button so it’s taking up valuable space on the front page which would be better used for something else.

5 Likes

I’m with most people in thinking it would be good to have more user-curated content on the front page… I’ll miss the Pinterest boards, having had a good few featured over the years, but they were pretty time-consuming to put together.

I’m not so sure about the value of having items from favourite sellers on the front page either: certainly not above the featured seller and the newly-listed items.

And although I’m a plus seller and regularly relist my items, I do try to restrict it to a handful at a time, across different categories, as I don’t think people always want to be seeing pages and pages of the same stuff from one seller.

Maybe a restriction to relisting 5 items within an hour could work, it seems pointless from any perspective relisting the whole shop in one go , as you just get buried in minutes. This is probably a nightmare to implement though, although the system can tell if you try within the 24 hours currently allowed

I don’t need to see the new items from my favorite sellers on the front page either, they don’t change often enough , and I keep an eye on them in my favorites.

Could people not tweet relevant gift guide submissions or front page suggestions @folksy with a suitable hashtag like #folksyfp then when admin come to update the guides etc they can choose some from the suggestions. They’ll all be easily found with the hashtag and it could even be added to the customer emails so if they’ve seen something that they love they can get in on the action too and it may help get a bit of insight into what they actually want to see on the front page.

Leanne

1 Like

For the gift guide. How about the curated list ends with a link “search for more items for bookworms” say. Since we have tags coming back, sellers could tag their items with the guide tag word if they find a particular guide relevant for their items.
This should also make it easy for Folksy staff to add more to the curated list.

2 Likes

The whole point for me of having a plus account is so I can relist my items whenever I want at how ever many I want, I know some people relist their whole shop, which I don’t agree with and i try to list 20 at a time but I have over 500 items in my shop.
I also have the plus account so my relisted items go to the front of the recently listed page, since this has been moved and the new front page put in place my sales have gone from 20 - 30 a month to 1 or 2 sales a month. Now the recently listed section is back I am very hopeful my sales will improve, if it is changed to that only ‘newly’ listed items are seen or a restriction is put on how many items you can relist at a time I am afraid I won’t be renewing my plus account and I will probably close my shop. I also feel I am will not be the only person doing this as what is the point of a plus account if this happens!

6 Likes

I am ‘guilty’ of every 4 months re-listing my whole shop - that’s what I have the Plus account for, so that I can re-list my hundreds of items with no extra cost. I’m not a regular re-lister, I just wait until a few days before the expiry date and do everything in one go (and I try to do it at a quiet time when there won;t be lots of new items also being listed by others).

I don’'t worry about whether my re-listed items are shown in the recently listed section - but it does annoy me when newly listed items are swamped within seconds of being listed by items that are constantly re-listed.

Personally I would prefer ‘recently listed’ to be only genuinely new listings, but that’s just my personal opinion.

I really don’t like seeing the section of recently listed items from my favourite sellers - I already have my favourite shops saved, and can browse them for new items when I want to. I’d rather see that space used (if it can;t go back to being a Pinterest board) for ‘re-listed items’, so that we can have a ‘Newly Listed’ section, followed by a ‘Newly Re-Listed’ section.

4 Likes

Could we, in signed in mode only of course, have an extra tick button, like the favourite one, but which is restricted to only 5 at any one time. A Favourite Favourites button.
These could be the new front page feature, not admin, curated, of “Folksy Folk Favourites”. If restricted to only 5 that stops anyone hogging it and if you’re only allowed to FFF other people’s listings and not your own that would make it very fair…
It would make a really interesting feature and would be very dynamic.

Joy xx

1 Like

I’m happy to see lots more items being.shown but I’m going to sound like most people because iv just looked at the recently listed items and seven pages in and I’m still on the same 2or three shop.
I just think newly listed items should have there own place and relisted items should go else were.
This is my opinion as I got abit bored looking through and only finding the same things.
It puts people off.

I looked at the signed in home page on my phone this morning , I got 3 pics off the smorgasbord 2 of which were the same as last night, 8 pics from my favorite sellers , the same listings as yesterday,3 gift guides with static pictures, 4 featured seller pics -same all week, 8 pics of recently listed all from one shop .

It feels like I have lost variety on my mobile with the new changes.

I kinda like the new front page look. It does a good job of showing a varied snapshot of things available on here … and much of it changes when the page is reloaded so new things are always popping up.

1 Like

I Always look at Folksy signed on page just after 9am to see what interesting Pinterest board is there today (and occasionally I find something of mine in there which makes my day).

I just realised I hadn’t bothered to look today as there is nothing to interest me.
Went to take a look to see if I might be inspired. No.

My own favourites - as already stated, I have no wish to see this on the front page
Newly listed - 8 items from the same jewellery shop - presumably part of a bulk relist but couldn’t be bothered to check
Gift guides - I can access these from other places and they are also admin curated
Featured Shop - ok but it was featured yesterday and the day before - don’t need to check it out every day

Please Folksy now you’ve removed the Pinterest boards, will you find an alternative to them as they, as far as I’m concerned anyway were my main reason for visiting the Front page on a daily basis.
And please will you ensure that that alternative is curated by non-admin, as the Pinterest boards were, so that we have a good selection of goodies from a wide range of tastes.

Until then my only reason to view the Front page will be to see if something I’ve just listed has had a quick display in the Smortgasbord.

I do have a suggestion. Could we have the Pinterest boards back, Please,- replacing the favourites which seems to be a non-favourite section.
I was not aware of any problem you were having with these, not getting enough.
Perhaps if we had known we would all have done something about it and ensured we kept you well supplied :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I definitely agree with all those who say we don’t need to be shown our favourite sellers on the home page - especially as the first thing we hit as we scroll down.

I can’t help thinking that Folksy is missing a trick on the newly listed items issue. I
can’t think of any other site that doesn’t shout from the rooftops about its latest content - everyone wants to know what’s new and it really should be just that, something that has not been seen before.

Please find a way to keep the relists separate - they are overpowering everything, and killing the excitement of seeing what’s new today. I see the point was raised that some relists ARE actually new items, presumably a slight variation on the previously sold item. In this case I am assuming that if we use the “copy” feature rather than relisting, then it would show up as a genuine new listing?

As for the Pinterest boards, Joy remarks that had we known there was a shortage we probably all would have rallied round. I am sure she is right! My own impression was that there must be so many that mine never had a chance of being chosen so I chose no longer to try.

Maybe there is some mileage in the group effort idea – here’s my thinking. How about a group for each day of the week - we join the group for the day we’d like to be involved in, and each group chooses its theme for that week. So, say for example, you choose to join the Wednesday group. A
group Pinterest board is created and members of the Wednesday group pin items for a few days, up to a deadline (Monday? Tuesday?) before the Wednesday board will be published on Folksy. Then there should be plenty of material by the deadline without it requiring a massive effort on any individual. Within each group board, pins could be tagged with the theme of the week to make it easy for Folksy to filter out the relevant new contributions.

The same thing for the other days of the week – possibly just one for Weekend? Could work, or could be too much admin?

4 Likes

I have missed scrolling through the recently listed section, it was too much hassle logging out to have a look or looking and then having to log in when you wanted to favourite something.
Personally I don’t mind looking at the bulk listings I just quickly scroll through until they pass, I can however see how some people would be bothered by it.
I still strongly disagree with the relisted items not being in the newly listed section.

2 Likes