What did your dad teach you?

To celebrate Father’s Day, we would love to hear your stories about your dad and what he taught you.

• • • • • • • • • • • • •

Here’s mine…

My dad taught me to love picture books. He taught me never to grow too old for illustrations or storytelling. He taught me not to be afraid to ask questions of myself or of other people. He taught me that we have a responsibility to help other people if we can. And he taught me to end every day with a piece of chocolate (ideally washed down with a whiskey).

7 Likes

My Dad taught me the usual things like riding a bike etc and he also taught me that as long as you have done your best, that is good enough, to be yourself and if people have a problem with that then that’s their problem, not yours and the most valued lesson was family values. We have such a close family and when I met my husband I found it really hard that he’s family wasn’t like that. Hubs see how my family was and wishes his was like that. At fast approaching 40 and married, I still turn to my Dad for advice about anything and everything. I honestly do not think I could survive life without him. He really is a hero in every sense of the word and has always been there for me, my hubs and two brothers and my disabled Mum as well as beating cancer himself. Before I got married I told hubs that as much as I love him, he will never be my number one man as there’s only one man who can take that title and that’s Dad.

On my wedding day (like you didn’t guess that!) 23.6.07

4 Likes

My dad…
Taught me to fly a kite…taught me about friction when my ears really hurt when he dried my hair, whilst I watched the muppets on Sunday evenings…
…he taught me to drive a car…to ride a motorbike… and to change motorbike fork seals (and other mechanical related things that it’s obviously really important for a girl to know!). But most importantly he taught me manners and independence. Oh, and that it’s ok to not buy a new suit for your only daughters wedding (‘it’s only one day after all’) and that a brown 1970’s nylon suit is just as good as a tailored moss bros one. It’s being there that matters - not what you wear (besides, my dad’s fashion sense has provided many smirks and chuckles for years since)

3 Likes

My dear departed Dad taught me to be kind and thoughtful.
He always did the little things that make all the difference, the things that cost nothing but you remember forever.
He was the one when I was small who would bring the glass of water in the middle of the night.
He read me Rupert bear stories at bedtime.
He taught me to ride a bike, hanging onto the saddle and running behind me and not telling me when he had let go until I turned around and he was a dot on the horizon.
He went out and bought a car, (he always rode a pushbike), so that I could learn to drive.
He was generous with everything he had.
He always had sweets in his pocket.
And he loved me :smile :cry:

3 Likes

The most valuable lessons I’ve learned are: to rely on myself, look after myself and be independent.
They have not let me down!

1 Like

My Dad died in 1977 when I was only 23 years old.

He taught me how to:
Love reading
Ride a bike
Wire a plug
Put oil and water in my car
Be proud of myself
and be happy.

Here’s to you Dad with love from your little girl. xx

3 Likes

Thank you Camilla for this thread. It inspired me to write a blog post dedicated to my Dad :smile:

My Dad, my big brother and me building sandcastles.

http://littleramstudio.blogspot.co.uk/

3 Likes

Here’s my Dad, this was taken just under a year ago, when he was 90. He’s still well apart from his knees being very stiff. I’ve lived with him all my life so he’s been a massive influence on me. He’s brilliant! :smile:

I know I’m very lucky to have kept him so long, and I hope to keep him a few more years yet.

6 Likes

I’m really pleased. It’s a very lovely post, full of memories…

I’ve never had a Riley’s Chocolate Toffee Roll. Do you think they still make them? Are they worth seeking out?

That’s an incredible age. He must have seen so many things and lived through so much.

Indeed he has, he was born in 1923, the world has changed an incredible amount since then. He travelled a lot during the war, and still talks about it, over and over again, even to total strangers! lol

1 Like

Not seen them for a few years now.
Think of an eclair reversed and you get the idea.
My Dad started his life as a newsagent and sweet shop owner, fourth generation, so sweets run through our blood :smile:

1 Like

The most important thing my 86 year old Dad taught me was how to be a terrific parent. He is still at it too! One of the lessons that I have learned because of him is that age is only a number. He still works out most days and only retired this year. He is a wonderful human being and I am so proud to be his daughter.

Leslie

1 Like