Why did you start your shop on Folksy?

Why did you open your shop on Folksy?

I love sewing, embroidering, machine knitting in my spare time. I wanted to try making new things but couldn’t afford to just buy materials to experiment and then give things away…we are on a tight budget. A few people had said that I should try selling my items so I set up my Folksy shop as an outlet to sell off my excess makes and hopefully recoup some of the costs, and to try and make a bit of pocket money too. I’m not making much profit as the money I get from sales usually gets spent on more stash…but I am covering the cost of my hobby…which is a great help…
Kim
x

2 Likes

I second that Kim @KBCreations. I too wanted to open my shop because I enjoy making the tags and it’s more beneficial to me to have the plus shop. Behind the tags, I do design embroidery patterns and I sew too although I haven’t sewn for a good while. Maybe a second shop will open sometime soon. x :wink:

To be honest - for more chances to sale my creations :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the opportunity to sew and experiment and it’s such a thrill when someone likes what you do enough to buy it. I chose Folksy because it supported British craftspeople and was relatively cheap to set up.

2 Likes

Me too, Kim!

I don’t make any profit, but the sales I have make my jewellery making a reasonably cheap activity rather than an expensive hobby which would draw unwanted attention from a certain quarter…So I can carry on. Yay :laughing:

Love Sam x

1 Like

I already had a shop on Etsy, but most of my customers come from the UK, so I thought that it seemed logical to open a shop on Folksy too. I’m still waiting for the elusive first sale, but I’m working on increasing my inventory: I hope to have 100 items listed by the time I go back to school in September.

2 Likes

I’d sewn a few things for friends and family who suggested I set up shop somewhere. A friend of mine started selling on Folksy so I thought I’d take a look and decided it was the place for me!

Elaine

I needed a selling outlet as I kept making things and had no space for them, so I thought selling on a nice UK based craft site was a good idea.

The main selling point for me was that it is UK based, which I like and also I love that you can interact with other crafters too :smile:

1 Like

Similar reasons to quite a few of the others who’ve replied. I love designing and making textile goods but couldn’t afford to keep making and giving stuff away or have it building up in my house. When I decided to start selling I started with craft fairs and then decided to try selling online as well. I chose Folksy as it was UK based. It took a while to get off the ground but sales have started to trickle through now. I’m also really enjoying the whole Folksy community - although I’m a bit of a novice in these forums!

3 Likes

I joined because every piece of jewellery I make deserves to be worn and I can’t wear it all :smile:

4 Likes

Again similar to the others, just love painting, printing cards & stationery is a great way to use my artwork and make a little money, of course. :slight_smile: :smile:

1 Like

Because the ‘other’ place is like shouting into a void, filled with people that just bookmark you so they can copy you, and I am actually a supporter of British workmanship which has been much neglected in the last 30 years.

Oh and I love anything shiny :smiley:

1 Like

Because I was proud of what I make and wanted other people to see them and have the opportunity to own one of my lovely decorations plus I’ve always wanted to own a shop and Folksy was an easier way to do that without having so many overheads.

I know the feeling I agree. :smile:

I already had an Etsy shop, then one day I googled Etsy and “Folksy” appeared on the 1st page, so I had a look and decided to give it a try.

Folksy is lovely I had to close my shop today because I don’t have time anymore…x

Your shop is lovely!