A bit nervous

A few weeks ago an elderly man I had got to know quite well over the last 12months as he was the neighbour of a friend and she started bring him along to the Coffee Morning we both go to.

Well a few weeks ago he died and his funeral is on Friday. I have been asked to lead the singing at the funeral. I will be leading their Churches small worship band. I have an hour practice with them before the service.

I’m very honoured to be asked as I know how much he loved music and my voice but I’m quite nervous. I don’t normally get too nervous as I sing and play in one my own church worship bands.

I want to honour his memory and it will be the first time I meet his 2 daughters.

3 Likes

That is lovely that you have been asked Eileen, I think it is a special thing as that means that you touched each others lives in a positive way. Everyone will want you to do well, but it will be understandable if at any point you falter. What are you going to sing?

It is a nice and touching gesture to be asked! I would be nervous too. Could you perhaps rehearse in front of the mirror a few times and imagine that you are singing with the band at the funeral? That might take the edge off a bit…

His 3 favourite hymns. I’m more used now to singing Modern Worship songs but his 3 favourite hymns are very traditional so I do know them well.

They are the Old rugged cross, Amazing Grace the revised version by Chris Tomlingson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoeBFZes3ts.

And this at the end as people either leave or sit and reflect

Blessed be the name by Matt Redman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnWKehsOXu8 which he loved.

1 Like

It will be lovely - I can understand you feeling nervous but it will be fine. He would have been so pleased to think that you would be singing at his funeral and so many people will be inspired by your singing. It won’t matter if you make any mistakes - it’s the intention that’s important. Wish I was there to hear it. x

How lovely that he loved your voice and that you’ve been asked to do this. Being nervous is understandable but I’m sure you will be fine once you start. x

How lovely to be asked and as others have said nobody will mind if you are nervous or falter. xx

You will be fine…I have sung solo at weddings…just take a deep breath and calm yourself before you sing…xx

good luck on the day .