A quick question about ironing board covers

I have finally got 'round to making myself a new ironing board cover (my old one was more hole than cover lol :expressionless: ) I’m rather pleased with how it turned out and was thinking about making some more for my shop.
Firstly do you think they’d sell? and secondly does anyone know if there are any safety regulations? Would I have to get them tested?
Here’s the one I just made

I thought I could make some different flag ones as well as pretty floral ones :smile:
Donna

2 Likes

Oh yea! The Welsh Dragon!

I need a new ironing board cover but stop putting these things in front of my face while I’m trying to pack already! lol x :grin:

2 Likes

wow, looks great

i’d say go for it !

says she who never irons lol ! :blush:

2 Likes

Sounds a great idea! I’m in need of a new one too!

1 Like

Looking good think they would sell. Not sure about regulations have a look when shopping on ready made ones see the blurb they have on theirs.

1 Like

Thank you for your comments, I will definitely list them. Just one more thing, I haven’t lined the one in the photo as I have one of those metallic under cover thingies. Do you think I should have some sort of foam lining for the ones I sell?

You could offer it as an option?

2 Likes

I’m not sure but don’t they have to be heat resisant or something. I know I just bought a new one myself and it did have some sort of safety label on it.

I would take a look at some good quality ones in the shops and see what their labelling says.

Sorry I didn’t keep the label from mine or I’d go check it for you.

Oh yes don’t forget ironing boards come in different sizes so once you’ve checked out the labeling thingie you’ll need to check on the different sizes now readily available so you can make them for the different size ironing boards.

1 Like

Ironing board covers? Is that what I should have put over it when I consigned it to the back of the cupboard years ago? :grinning:

1 Like

I haven’t been able to fins any thing on regulations on-line but have emailed trading standards to see if they have anything to say about it. The one in the picture is made out of polyester, so is unlikely to burst into flames :stuck_out_tongue:
Rhiannon, I don’t use mine to iron clothes but my products do need ironing before I can post then :cry: Everything else goes into an ironing pile and only gets ironed if needed lol

1 Like

I actually used my iron board at Christmas as an extra table space for buffet things etc. lol! :smile:

2 Likes

Would polyester withstand the maximum heat from an iron - it may not burst into flames but it may melt and make a mess of the iron. Whatever you use needs to be able to withstand maximum heat for quite a while. I know I tend to leave my iron face down on the board while adjusting the position of what I’m ironing, I know I shouldn’t but I do!

I have ironed the one I made today on the highest setting and it’s ok and the flag I made it from has been folded over the ironing board all week as the metallic thingie I have on it gets too hot otherwise and it’s been ok. I’ll try ironing something heavy and full of creases on it to make sure :smiley:
Roz @Rozcraftz I’ve just read your last post properly. How do you leave your iron face down without turning the room into a sauna? Mine would just make too much steam if I did that!

1 Like

:slight_smile: - I have a cheap iron! Doesn’t generate that much steam sadly, the task would be much easier with plenty of steam.

1 Like