Dressmakers, do you use a mini iron?

My daughter makes a lot of her own clothes and I am thinking about buying her a mini iron of some sort for Christmas. We saw one used at a stitchy exhibition once and it looked great.

Are they worth having? Does anyone here use one? Any thoughts or recommendation would be great please.

I picked up a travel iron somewhere, it was good, until my daughter pinched it and I haven’t seen it since, she’s studying textiles, I don’t mind! Or do you mean one of those tiny irons that look like soldering irons, I look longingly at those, but can’t really justify it. How old is she, would a normal iron be too big for her?

I do have one, but don’t use it a lot. I’ve got one with three different tips, and (when I remember that I have it) it can be very handy to press little pieces such as neckties. It’s not an essential though and I guess I use it more for crafting than my dressmaking. Does she have a sleeve roll and a tailor’s ham? If not, they might be an idea. I use them every single day.

Yes, it was the type that looks like a soldering iron that we saw and it looked really useful, but I can’t remember what it was called or who made it. :roll_eyes: Thought it might be handy for her although she’s a textile teacher so she’s OK using a big iron too!

Go for it, I’m sure she’ll love it, I think the only make I’ve seen is by clover!

1 Like

I like the idea of one with different tips. I don’t think she has a sleeve roll or tailor’s ham, but I know she loves her little sleeve board, so I will look into both of those, thanks for the idea.

Thank you Sue! I just looked up Clover and I think that was the one we saw being demonstrated. Looks like Hobbycraft do them so I will have to go and have a look.

1 Like

I have a clover one and use it for patchwork and quilting, great for working with tiny pieces. The new version has a much better holder for the iron when not in use, easy to burn yourself or the table otherwise.

1 Like

Thanks Marie, that’s useful to know. Good to be armed with a bit of info before I hit the shops!

1 Like

I was thinking of buying one of these for my quilting x I have the small ironing board but normal iron no good with it x Will look for the clover make mini iron mentioned xxx

1 Like

I have one I use in my sewing room with a mini ironing board or sleeve board, I use it for small items, love it, much easier than trying to use a full size one

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, @Bearlescent, I think as well as one for my daughter, I’m going to get one for myself!

Your shop is beautiful. xxx

I think you will find it useful, I would have attached the details of the one I have but I’m away on Holiday at the moment and can’t remember the make, mine heats up instantly…it’s quite cute as well lol…hope you get sorted. xx

plumporridge

October 10

Thanks for your reply, @Bearlescent, I think as well as one for my daughter, I’m going to get one for myself!

Your shop is beautiful. xxx