Advertising a competitor on the status update?

I thought I was imagining things - I clicked on Doug’s link to read the status update about images and there, underneath his post was an advert for NotOnTheHighStreet! Are Folksy trying to encourage us all to go elsewhere to shop? Have they got shares in a competitor site?

I think that might be something specific to your computer as i don’t get adverts for NOTHS or anywhere else!
S

Sounds like you have some sneaky adware lurking in your browser :frowning:

Hi Christine. The same thing happened to me about a week ago. I couldn’t understand it either!
There is was. An advert for Not on the High Street! What is going on?

I just saw one for M&S, I clicked on the ’ about these ads’ and this is what came up

Lin

Hello Christine,

Like Sasha said it is something specific to your computer. Nowadays, our browsers use our cookies in order to adapt and display an advert according to what we like, search etc. ")

You must have browsed NOTHS at some point - when I look I get a Cookson Precious Metals add.

Sneaky wordpress! Making people pay for an upgrade to not show ads, that’s just … well, sneaky!

I guess those of us not seeing them are running ad blockers.

I saw different ads. You can download something for each of the browsers you are using so you don’t see ads.

I don’t really want to see them - is there a blocker for Chrome out there?

I use ad block plus on Chrome

Works a treat!

2 Likes

Thanks Melanie @Beledien, I’ll give that a try!

These only work on this website if Folksy itself is allowing ads - presumably because they are being paid for them. Ads don’t just appear on any old website (such as your own - the website owner has to allow it). @sianfolksy - you should probably chat to your ad agency/media buyer to get them to put some negative blocks in so you don’t end up advertising your competitors!!