Another fair another disappointment?

I have my last one today and hubby doesn’t understand why I bother, lately especially, they used to be worthwhile. The only positive thing is its for a cats charity and don’t begrudge the fee. Not much table space…again, so not taking loads. So wish me lots of sales!!!

1 Like

Good luck, I hope you do well, fairs can be so hit and miss, I’ve had the good as well as the bad so here’s hoping that this is one of the good ones. :tiger: :cat: :tiger2: :leopard: at least it will be good for the kitty kats :slight_smile: Pop back later and let us know how you got on x

1 Like

Good Luck Amber, I hope it’s a better fair for you. I’m hoping to do some next year and I think it’ll be worth the experience (or should I say experiment!). If there is wifi and you have a website why don’t you take a computer/tablet so that you can show them what’s on offer even if you don’t have it with you. That way you may get something later on. Just a thought. Let us know how you get on. J

1 Like

Look on it as a day out and if you sell it’s a bonus. I used to take a bit of sewing or knitting along.

I hope your fears are unfounded and you have a good and profitable day!

Sending you positive vibes - I hope it goes well. (My husband has a similar view to your other half.)
Good luck x

1 Like

Good luck with the fair - I hope it exceeds your expectations. I have a Christmas fair later and it’s outdoors so I’m just hoping that the gazebos don’t blow away in these gales (along with my stock)!! :grimacing:

I hope it proves to be profitable, but I would also ask, do you know the kind of customers that come to these events and are they your kind of customer?

Whatever happens, see it as a way to get feedback, promote yourself, hand out business cards and chat to people, incl your fellow stall holders :smile: Good luck!

Good Luck with your fair, although I’m sure you won’t need it!

I’ve been going to a few fairs as a visitor recently, just checking out the stalls (and the stallholders too) to see if it is something that might work for me.

As for husbands, I watch my other half’s eyes glaze over as I talk about it and I know he thinks that they would be a waste of time.

The point is whether you still believe you should be doing them, as you know your customers better than he does! If this one goes well I expect you will feel vindicated, so chin up and all that.

Love Sam x

1 Like

We have found in our limited one year experience its very hit and miss. Lots of fayres are now craft and gift fayres not just craft fayres. These we have found hard to sell at as people mass buy from overseas and have nothing over 4 quid say on their stalls. We have found a few good events we will be trying to do regular, where the organiser checks what stalls sell to avoid too much of one craft etc/checks for public liability etc etc. If nothing else we use them now as a way to network with other local crafters who may know good events to try. We also give cards out to anyone who does show interest in our goods for future sales. Good luck :smile:

1 Like

As expected! 1 sale and my sister in law bought something too! Lol! But, what made me laugh was while I was there a sale come through from good old Folksy!!! Yay!!!
I also met another stallholder who gave me a few places to try. I bought some Christmas Bunting off her that her mum made £4 for 3 metres…!!!

4 Likes

My outdoor one had to be cancelled today. Very unhappy and deflated. That was my last one for the year.

Do you give out cards too? I see you have lots of pages of lovely bits for sale so assume yours a plus account seller. We are starting to use cards at events and list lots of items on folksy with plus account as a sort of digital portfolio. It doesn’t give sales just ON folksy per say as the cards have out other sites on them too. But it gives a definate flurry of looks and likes of things when we hand cards out at events. At least you got some networking done for more events to try and congrats on folksy sale.

Oh thats a shame @PaulinesCrafts. Have just looked at your shop. Your baubles are ridiculously pretty.

1 Like

hi Lindsay

I’ve only just returned to doing some fairs and the one last month in a village hall was hopeless took £10, the one I did today was more established and It helped I was the only woodturner and it was steady and I had fourteen items to delete from my shop when I returned home ( I don’t risk someone ordering from Folksy whilst at a fair for fear of disappointing someone and so I put shop on hols) From experience years ago you have to ask the organiser how it will be advertised and just like Folksy also try and spread the word yourself and then keep fingers crossed that people turn up and want to spend.
I’m sure your luck will improve , you have some lovely things in your shop !.

:grin: thank you @bluebellwoodturning just had the notification! I have more enjoyment at selling on line these days then I used to! Pleased you sold so many of your lovely items! :grinning:

Thank you for the lovely comment. Just favoured your shop.

Yes it’s disappointing isn’t it. I’ve got a few more to come but the one that was cancelled yesterday was the one I had the highest hopes for . :disappointed:

1 Like

I went to a good well-advertised craft fair (as a buyer) last weekend. It was so busy it was hard to see some stalls. Sometimes I get a bit overwhelmed by the wide variety of goods and think “I’d like to sit at my computer and choose one of these in peace”. It’s amazing, though, how so many sellers don’t have readily available business cards or leaflets…
Scatter them freely across your table!..

3 Likes

I always make sure my business cards are out on my table and in some cases I’ve put them in the bags when people buy something.

1 Like