Any bakers on here?

Those who bake (I don’t/can’t) - what are your favourite/indispensible pieces of equipment? My daughter is really getting into baking and her birthday is coming up very soon, looking for ideas for her from her sister - I have already got her some scales and spoon measures and I suspect from her recent creations she has got some cake tins. Help :slight_smile:

You can get really handy silicone scraper/ spatula type things (don’t know the official name) that are great for getting every last bit of cake mix out of the bowl. Also maybe a mixer of some type, not essential but save a lot of time and energy.

1 Like

How about an apron, there are some lovely ones here on Folksy :blush:

2 Likes

Lakeland have some really nice things… I particularly covet their Battenburg cake tin (made one last year and it was delicious but very messy).

1 Like

Oven gloves perhaps (plenty to choose from on Folksy!)
Cooling rack
Cake storage boxes

As Rhiannon says, Lakeland is great - full of gadgets you didn’t even know you needed. :grinning:

1 Like

My OH swears by his Ninja mixer (he got it from QVC but you can get it from other places I’m sure) and the scones he makes using it turn out much better than mine done the old fashioned way. What about the flavourings? Proper vanilla extract./ essence is expensive and then there are things like lemon oil and the spices.

1 Like

I’m actually a qualified baker, managed a bakery for a few years before children came along. That was over 30 years ago… I don’t bake a lot now but when I do my Kitchen Aid mixer is my friend…love it!

1 Like

I was given Mary Berry’s cookbooks, some lovely cakes and bakes, I’ve tried a few and they all turn out splendid and tasty.

1 Like

Thanks - will pass on suggestions to my other daughter. :slight_smile:

I have a Tower mixer and it whips up lovely light pastry and cakes in no time. I mainly use Mary Berry and Sarah Flower recipe books.

1 Like

I can recommend the Domestic Goddess book by Nigella Lawson as well as those previously recommended.

I can also say that my Kenwood Chef has made my life a LOT easier when making cakes and cookies…I got mine as a wedding present over 20 years ago, and it’s still going strong. You can pick them up on Gumtree for a song, but make sure it’s working before you buy it as the motor’s not cheap to replace. I also have a small food processor that I make my victoria sponges in, so that’s another cheaper option.

Small things - proper measuring spoons and a set of American Cups, if she plans to use US recipes. A decent whisk. A springform cake tin. Sandwich tins with removable bottoms, and baking paper to line them with. Muffin cases from Lakeland. If she’s interested in decorating, Lakeland do amazing colour pastes and different flavourings, as well as the various shaped tins. Cookie cutters are always a great buy if she likes those kind of biscuits - I also have some ceramic cookie presses that I was given by a friend in the USA, and those are lovely to use too.

This is what I mean by the cookie press (aka cookie stamps)
http://www.rycraft.com/

The cookies always go really quickly and they’re fun to make!

1 Like