Approached by Handmade Shop

Apparently it is a very successful handmade shop in Shropshire. Inviting me to put my goods there, at a cost of course!! Miles and miles away, I’m in Bristol!!
I must look desperate! Nothing goes anywhere without it being bought! Doubt if that will happen!

2 Likes

I had an offer like that, shop was miles away and l would of had to post my stock, but would not of known what happened to it after that, so decided to pass on that one

Yes, its a no goer! If they want to buy from me to stock their shelves then fine, but, its a one way street, what if stock goes missing?

My thought as well, you have no control over anything, l am in Liverpool and the shop was over in Norfolk

Think I’m getting old and cynical!! Lol​:grin::grin::grin:

I’m in Norfolk and was looking at having a shelf in The Norwich Gift Emporium but I thought the fees were quite high and they wanted them 3 months in advance too. I couldn’t believe how expensive it was.

1 Like

I don’t really get the ‘Renting space in a shop’ idea, especially if it’s miles and miles away! Who is going to arrange your stock for you and what will the sales person be like? Not to mention postage costs and things going missing, getting badly handled or damaged. It’s just a cheeky way of filling a shop at no cost to the shop owner.
Wholesale all the way!! Unless it’s Sale or Return for a trial period with a well established outlet.

3 Likes

I think its cheeky! Free stock!! Suppose its ok if you are local. But again, how well will they look after it?

1 Like

I’d say it’s not ok. I’ve had a think about this following a previous thread on a similar subject. I was involved in a similar arrangment, this time with a local emporium, so distance wasn’t the issue. However, things did go missing and nobody would take responsibility for it and also, because this is a “rental” arrangement there is often no control over the other people who are using the venue. Some were really good but others were the equivalent of second hand shops or market stalls selling in pre-assembled, bought in stuff. Needless to say, I don’t think I will be doing this again.

1 Like

I have been approached by a number of shops in the past couple of years, one fairly local and one across the country and have been more than happy with the results. It has resulted in quite a few commissions as well as allowing me to sell items that were languishing in this shop.

I guess it would depend on the level of professionalism the shop demonstrates. I have always received the relevant paperwork and agreements and have not been let down yet.

2 Likes

I agree, these things can work. But professionalism is the key!

I’m part of the Handmade Shop & Gallery in Bury St Edmunds. Our model is slightly different, in that the owner (Jane Crick, another lovely Folksy seller) curates the shop beautifully and we all work very closely together to support her. That keeps the quality and consistency very high. We pay a monthly fee, but several of us also do regular shifts in the shop so we really get to know each other’s work and spend lots of time promoting the shop.

I’d say, do your research carefully, because not all ‘handmade shops’ are the same. In this case, the more effort we put in, the more we tend to get out of it and we’ve become a very close-knit, mutually supportive team…

One of the best things I’ve ever done!

4 Likes

That’s really good to hear @beadedgarden it helps if you are local. But I think its not a cheap option when you pay both rent and commission. I have done pop up shops and left some stock and am pleased with the result. The lady was only commission on this too.

1 Like

Hello Jane, where is the Handmade Shop and Gallery, I’m quite local, would love to pop in and meet some fellow Folksters, Suzzie x

1 Like

I posted some stuff to a shop for last Christmas on Sale or Return with them taking a commission. It was a completely different customer area that I wouldn’t normally get to. I did plenty of research first of course, but it worked well and I sold £100’s

3 Likes

I agree! It’s all about the curation! The place I was using was mostly about the cafe, and I think that was part of the problem. Your shop sounds really good because it is a dedicated hand-made/gallery. Also, I would much rather do sale or return that pay rent-that way you are only paying for stuff you actually sell.

Love Sam x

1 Like

Hi Suzzie, the Shop is in St John’s Street in Bury St Edmunds. It helps that this is the main street in the town for independent shops and restaurants. We’re next to a great Mediterranean café and opposite a lovely cookshop, a chocolatier and several independent boutiques, so people go down there naturally to look for more unusual things.

Do pop in and see us if you come into town. You’ll find more info on the shop’s FB page (there’s a link on my ‘Meet the maker’ page). One or two of the other makers also sell in Folksy.

St Johns street is the only place to be really, as you say lovely independent shops. So yes next time I come in to pick the children up from school I will allow extra time and pop my head in for a good mouch and a ‘Hello’, see you in the shop, suzzie x

1 Like