Are items selling?

I personally don’t find any complications with selling from my website. It’s pretty much the same as selling here.

Folksy are a lot cheaper for fees than Etsy, which is why I persevere, and it’s good to have several irons in the fire where selling is concerned. But I agree it’s very frustrating when they don’t promote as much as they might. There seems to be a lot of new sellers on here every day. But then again we can only guess as to how many leave.

I think Folksy is good for most sellers. It’s easy to use and the fees are low, and they offer great seller support. But if you want to take things up a notch and brand your work, then having your own website is a must. And I can see no reason why they both can’t run alongside each other quite happily. On Instagram you can create a linktree with several links to all your selling platforms.

1 Like

I have no need to sell through my own website. I have two steadily busy shops as well as private sales. My website shop front obviously serves me well and has for 10+ years :grin::grin:

1 Like

It’s interesting to hear that it’s generally slow for others on folksy and online generally. I always find it that way, I really struggle with sales on any online platform, though facebook works about the best. This is probably because the people that follow me on there have done so because they’ve bought from me at craft fairs and want to buy more or find out where I’m going to be next. I’ve done quite a few craft fairs this year and my sales are significantly up, the economic downturn doesn’t seem to have applied when people are out at an event, with a credit card, they are quite definitely spending. Live now pay later attitude perhaps? Or they are fed up of buying online, and are disappointed when what they’ve seen on a little phone screen doesn’t look the same when it comes through the door? Buying in person means they can see the items properly, the whole selection is there in front of them and they meet the maker too - it seems to be working.

2 Likes

I agree, people do like to see things in the flesh. Unfortunately craft faires are practically non existent in Cornwall. Being physically disabled makes doing craft faires out of County very expensive with hotel accommodation, travel costs etc.

To date, I have been extremely pleased with my sales on Folksy.com with no returns due to disappointment etc. I just hope things improve for those of us who are experiencing a substantial down fall in sale in the past two months.

New sellers need to be aware that sales are slow to start with.

3 Likes

Dear fellow folksy, thank you so much for all your wonderful insights regarding selling, I have just began on my journey with selling crafts and have picked up a lot of helpful hints regarding all apsects, here is hoping that that people will still have that little extra cash for gifts and themselves in future months, I for one am hoping to purchase most items for christmas presents here and do hope that other people will follow. My shop needs a bit of polishing to it, though I do welcome constructive criticism if you fancy having wee peek. Thank you
Chipnpin Crafts

1 Like

Sales are slower than usual for me although I have had a lot of time off recently due to bereavement, family illnesses etc. I’ve just started making again and have sold 2 of the 4 new bears so I’m very pleased with that but when i wasn’t active I sold very very little. My items are mainly collectables and I know more people are having to cut back on their luxury purchases at the minute so it is to be expected. I’m planning some smaller more affordable items alongside my bears and dolls in the hope some of those will sell until my customers can afford to purchase again.
I have read some of the above and perhaps I would benefit from a website for my bears and dolls, I don’t have spare money to invest at the moment therefore it would need to be a shop front only linked to my Folksy shop, I also don’t want to take time off creating again just yet to set it up so it may be something for the future.
I wonder how many sellers would prefer to pay slightly more in fees if the extra money was used for more advertising by Folksy, I still hear a lot of people say they have never heard of Folksy, or then again would it actually make a difference to sales if people are having to tighten their purse strings anyway.
It sounds as though most sellers are quiet at the minute including many of those that always have regular sales, I think shops that sell mainly high end/luxury items are bound to be seeing a difference. Hopefully things will pick up for everyone soon.

3 Likes

If you have a Google account, I’ve found “Google sites” is an easy (and free) way to add to your online presence. It’s essentially a simple website builder. I’ve used it to create an online portfolio that includes some of my degree course work that isn’t yet for sale. I’ve added the link to my linktree, alongside my Folksy shop and sdded the link as a blog on my shopfront. Due to other commitments, I haven’t been promoting much so sales have suffered as a result, though I’m doing a bit more now as I have some time over the summer. From experience, no promotion = next to no sales.

3 Likes

I will take a look Chris, thank you
It definately made a difference for me as well, I had quite a lot of time off and little promotion and my sales really slumped, I’m back making again, have shared all the new makes and have sold 4 out of the 6 new bears (all the ones with embroidery, so I have also learnt what my customers want).
I dont have linktree ! I only sell on Folksy and direct to my local customers via fb so is it something I need…clueless i know :laughing:

2 Likes

Ooh just wanted to pop back and say things are picking up, I sold all of my new bears with embroidery on them, some locally and had 2 ladies wanting ones that i had already sold. I have realised the bears with embroidery are my quickest and best sellers so will be concentrating more time on those. Perhaps all the time off and lack of Sm presence had more of an impact than anything else.

3 Likes

This is the worst I’ve ever had as regards sales/views. I’ve been on Folksy about 9 years, but have not sold anything since last November! I’m seriously thinking about closing my shop.

3 Likes

Just sold my second item on Folksy - in-fact I do seem to be selling a little more across the board on other sites. Perhaps I’m just lucky but it might be that social media, tidying up listings and a lot of patience is paying off at last! I’m never going to be a big seller but it’s really nice to get some sales. Good luck everyone.

7 Likes

Glad things are looking up for you Debby. Re Linktree, it’s only of use on Instagram if you want to direct people to more than one online place (Insta only allows one link, in the bio). For instance, if you have two online shops, a website, various social media accounts and you want to create an opportunity to visit all of them from one link, then it’s a useful tool. If you have one online shop that you effectively use as a website, then I wouldn’t bother. There is a school of thought that says the less people have to click to get them where you really want them, the better!

4 Likes

Ah I see…thank you for that @TheChrisArtist I only sell on Folksy now and direct to local customers via facebook so I won’t need it…one thing less to have to do :smiley:

1 Like