Folksy Ltd

Art chat thread September 2020

Here is the place to show and chat about art.

welcome to the September art chat thread…please show your art…work in progress or chat about anything artistic.
Here is one of my paintings to start off the month

2 Likes

I’m still away, will get back to painting next week.
Meanwhile, here’s a pic of my cat, bow before him!

7 Likes

Actually, I have a question (or five) for you guys- what are your thoughts on selling prints?
I’m considering offering prints of some of my favourite works, framed and ready to hang. The frames I have seen are very nice (cost around £15 each) and use real glass so I may restrict sales to UK only. The prints will be A4 in size. Limited, but to how many?

Next step, where do I go for the prints, use a local printer best or an online company? What paper is best to use? Do you have a preference?
Ta.

wow those are SOME whiskers Graham

1 Like

personally Graham I would never buy a print…to me, I might as well cut a picture from a magazine and I like the idea of having the ONLY one, so I don’t DO prints either…Others of course will disagree with me and I think that they sell quite well but I am always amazed that people can get more for their prints than I can get from my original artwork…such is life…I suppose it is a personal decision and we will all differ in our answers x

1 Like

I have tried selling prints but it’s a bit of a waste of time. I’ve sold very few, particularly online. They do better at some of the fairs I’ve attended. On the whole, it’s not worth the hassle. I think most people prefer to buy the original work.
If I receive a request for a print of a certain painting, then I’ll do it. My local printer will print from my originals for a couple of pounds onto good quality white card.

3 Likes

Paint just dry on this watercolour of an early morning scene at Downderry, Cornwall.

6 Likes

that is a fab painting Chris x

1 Like

just finished and not listed yet…

2 Likes

,work in progress,

this project, though very enjoyable, has now been placed on the ‘back burner’, again!

it will come out for an airing in the ‘very near’ future

now it is time for a few quick compositions / sketches

to keep my loyal followers interested 🙂

and me interested😍

thanks for your interest and patience 😉

#februarymorningmullioncove

4 Likes

i might be needing reeducating in #waveart

1 Like

Barns in Snow, watercolour.

4 Likes

Love the twin waterfalls.David
great work as always Graham

1 Like

@TheChrisArtist I have similar feelings to you about prints, they don’t seem to sell much faster than originals for me, and I prefer doing originals, so I just save it for a few of my favourites that have taken a lot of time so the print is considerably cheaper than an original would be.

I’ve also never offered with a frame because it adds quite a bit of extra cost to the item and postage (as well as extra worry of it breaking), and a lot of people seem to prefer to get their own frame to match their decor. What I think is the best frame for the picture might not suit the style of their house, and then they’d be put off buying (even though it seems the easier option).

2 Likes

Thanks for your comments on prints, I still have a lot to consider.
Here’s a painting I did this morning, A Puffin, watercolour.

2 Likes

great puffin Graham x

1 Like

Beach, watercolour.

3 Likes

Hello all

I’m very thrilled - I heard this week that one of my coloured pencil drawings has been awarded Best Amateur Artist - Flowers or Gardens category in the SAA Artists of the Year competition! Wow!

It’s the drawing which I have had made into greetings cards… Perhaps I should put the price up now it’s Famous! :smile: :smile:

6 Likes

well done Helen , it is beautiful
today I have an original hand painted card
https://folksy.com/items/7554677-original-hand-painted-greetings-card-ref-F-237-

3 Likes