Call-out for Textile Art videos & content for social media in April 2023

Each month during 2023 we will be looking in detail at one craft, technique, region, style or theme. We will still be promoting sellers who do not fit into this niche, but this focus gives us an opportunity to delve into a topic and create interesting, engaging content for our newsletters, social media and blog. This will enable us to reach a wider audience while also expanding buyers’ understanding of what goes into handmade and therefore their likelihood to buy, which we hope will benefit everyone on Folksy.

As part of that we’re looking for Folksy sellers who would like to create short format videos (ideally 15-second vertical 9:16 ratio videos) we can use for Instagram or TikTok that fit into our focus for April, which is Textile Art.

If you work in this field and would like to contribute, let us know. Examples of content could be embroidery stitches, printing on fabric, embellishments - anything linked to the making process that our audience might find interesting. If you’d like to get involved but aren’t sure how to make videos for social media, here are three useful resources to get you started:

Additionally, if you’re not confident about creating videos there is also an opportunity to contribute to our Exploring Techniques series, so if there is an aspect of Textile Art that hasn’t already been covered and which you would be interested in exploring further, let us know!

We will also be creating other non-video content (such as blog posts similar to this) which links to our textile art categories on Folksy. If there are particular Folksy sellers working in this field who you would like to see highlighted this month (or you have any other ideas for related content), again leave a comment below.

12 Likes

Sounds great, I did my first reel on IG a few days ago, I was stitching a fern stich on a new pincushion that I’ve now listed for sale, not sure it was a very good video though. Early days yet ! Trying to think of something else I could do … i love to hand embroider there must be something :laughing:

@folksycontent Thank you for providing the links, a lot of sellers will benefit from these, never thought I would do it !

2 Likes

I’m primarily a feltmaker and have been teaching for about 12years, as well as selling my work. Would that be of interest?

1 Like