Calling All Knitters and Crocheters

Hi all you knitters and crocheters,

Do you have lots of scrap yarns left over from your projects? Is your “bits box” overflowing? Are your wardrobes and drawers getting out of hand with all those small lengths that can’t be made into another project? Don’t know what to do with it all?

I have the solution for you.

Winter is fast approaching, and the cats and dogs in shelters are in need of warm blankets to snuggle into. As an animal lover, and an adopter of cats from Battersea and Cats Protection, I have decided to allocate time to knitting and crocheting blankets for them.

And this is where you lovely people come in.

I am reaching out to you for donations of leftover scrap yarns so that I can turn them into blankets for the cats and dogs. I have spoken with both Cats Protection and Battersea Cats and Dogs Home today, and they are desperate for nice warm winter blankets.

Every day, 8 cats and 9 dogs arrive at Battersea, and each time a cat or dog is rehomed, the blankets they were using go with them, so they are always in need of new blankets for the dogs and cats that go in every day.

Also, if you have any knitting needles or crochet hooks that you don’t need or want anymore, please donate these so that I can get more people to help me with knitting and crocheting the blankets.

If you are willing to donate your leftovers, needles or hooks, please reply so that I can let you know where to send them to.

I will post up pictures of the blankets as I make them so you can see the results of your donations.

Thanks everyone - your donations will make the lives of these cats and dogs better this winter.

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

I belong to two local knitting and crochet groups and we regularly send blankets to Battersea for the Cats & Dogs.:poodle::cat2:

1 Like

Hi Zoe, that’s fantastic to hear :slight_smile:

I suppose Battersea is more widely known than the other animal charities out there. My local Cats Protection really struggles with getting support with regard to both financial and non-financial donations.

I’m a big believer in supporting the good work that charities do. I donate a percentage of each of my card sales to Cancer Research UK, and I’m hoping I can get enough yarn donations to be able to make the blankets for Cats Protection and Battersea.

I forgot to say in my original posting that I will put photos of the blankets up on my Twitter as well as on these forums and will credit the relevant Folksy shop owner for the yarn / needles / hooks donations.

Hi all,

One of my kind neighbours has donated some yarns to my quest and I have made the first blanket today.

I have created a category in my shop so that I can upload pictures of each blanket I make, but it forced me to add a price and a quantity which is not applicable.

Is there the function to upload a listing with a zero quantity so that it cannot be purchased but can still be looked at?

Below is a link to the blanket. I am still looking for yarn donations to make these blankets so if you would like to de-clutter and give to a good cause, please contact me.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like