Folksy Ltd

Card Reader offer

I have been toying with the idea of getting a card reader for some time,it would be essential for me if I started doing craft fairs again after many years. I see the Folksy email contained an offer on one, it sounds quite good value, what do other people think please. My problem is that I would have to buy a smartphone as well.

Paul

Hi Paul, we purchased a paypal one when it was on offer and its brilliant , the money goes straight into our account. We use it with a tablet rather than smart phone, it is much bigger to read and the buttons are larger for typing you need to check compatibility with your pad or iphone first. Would not be without it.
Hazel

1 Like

Not sure what the offer is with Folksy - I haven’t looked as I already have a card reader with iZettle which I love. I think iZettle have an offer on at the moment so might be worth looking at (they were offering one of their card readers for free at one time but not sure if that offer is still on)

I bought a paypal one last year and had to buy a phone to go with it. The card sales at one fair paid for them both.
I went with the paypal one as I already had a business account with them so set up was instant. I would have needed a business bank account for the other makes that would have ended up costing quite a bit more .
If you are buying a phone it is worth looking into which provider has the best cover in the areas where you will be doing fairs.here in Devon that was quite important.

Hi,
First up card readers are great - I did an event earlier this week and over 75% of my takings were by card, event before that everything was by card. More and more people are expecting to pay by card especially if you are selling higher price items but they are very accepting when you hand them these little boxes and say ’ stick your card in the bottom and follow the instructions on the screen’. I’ve only ever had one person ask if it was secure and no one has ever refused to use it.
I had the old sumup card and sign device as folksy had an offer on that one so I could get it for free but when sumup bought out the new chip and pin one they stopped supporting the old one (ie it stopped working) without any warning. This was November time last year when many people were doing Christmas fairs so it had a big impact on them (there was a thread here on the forum with people bitching about it). Sumup may have improved their customer contact/ support since then. I had moved on from sumup as I really wanted a chip and pin device which they didn’t offer at the time so I bought the iZettle premium device (the blue tooth version) and a smart phone to go with it. I went with them as they offered the best support on which phones/ tablets work with their units as well as competative rates. iZettle are still offering their ‘lite’ unit for free, it is attached to your phone by a cable rather than operating via blue tooth like the premium version.
Hope all that information is useful but it probably hasn’t helped you decide what to go for (useful review and more details of the other providers can be found http://www.mobiletransaction.org/payleven-vs-izettle-vs-sumup/ )
Sasha

Thanks for all your help and advice, I quite like the sound of a paypal one as I’ve had a paypal account for several years but don’t know whether its a business account or not as I started it doing Ebay then Folksy came later.
My prices are in the higher end so it would be essential to have one, as I said, I don’t have a smartphone I also don’t have a tablet and I am getting on a bit and quite untechy, so I will have to think about it really hard before I decide.
Sorry for all the negativity, but thanks again to all of you.

Paul

Hi Paul,
It’s been a year since you posted that you like a card reader. I am planning to buy too so how is it going. What card reader did bought? Do you encountered any problem?
I am planning to buy SumUp Card Reader because according to my research it is cheaper than iZettle. I also found more cons on this link: https://www.mobileterminals.net/sumup-review/.
Please let me know how your card reader is. I need a reliable and convenient one. I don’t want to risk buying one without a great review.
Sincerely,
Erhaz

I bought the sumup one on the folksy offer. I love it, lowest charge of any I’ve seen so far. Customers very happy to use it. Do be aware that it will be posted from Germany, I didn’t realise this and didn’t have it for a fair. App seriously easy to use, can input a description of item sold so it appears on your records. Nice and small so it fits in my cash box.

1 Like

Sorry for the delay,I haven’t been on here lately,I never got a card reader after all ,I found out that you can do “PayPal Me” providing the customer has an Iphone or tablet and a PayPal account,even so I still haven’t used it as the only craft fair i did I was paid in cash ,although not very much lol.

Paul