Card reader help

Hi

I’m thinking if getting a card reader for my craft fair (first one!). I don’t want to miss sales and I don’t tend to carry cash so I’m sure others don’t either.

I clicked the link of folksy for the ‘sum up’ offer. The offer doesn’t seem to be live any more?

Can anyone recommend either this card reader or another. This one was £19 one off then less than 2% per transaction. I wouldn’t want a pay monthly type one.

I use iZettle who currently have a half price offer on their card reader for new clients (card reader is normally ~£60) and if you use my sign up link (https://www.izettle.com/d/ULP2FL) we both get £10 off our transaction fees. There transaction fees are higher than sumup at 2.75% but on a sliding scale so the more it gets used the less you pay. There is no monthly fee.
Sumup got a bit of a bad reputation when they stopped supporting (ie the unit stopped working) one of their old card readers with out notifying users and the first they found out about it was when they tried to take payments at fairs and couldn’t. They might have improved their customer service since then.
Paypal do a card reader which I’ve heard good things about and it links up with your paypal account.
With any of the card readers it is worth checking the specs on their website to make sure it will be compatible with your phone before you order it.

1 Like

I also have iZettle and can’t fault it - they usually have an offer on of a half price machine (as do other makes) for new users so have a search on the internet.

Thanks, I’ll have a look x

I’ve been using the Paypal reader for years, since the day came out :slight_smile: I only once had a problem when their server had trouble for a couple of hours and they gave me a month of no fees as compensation. Other than that quite pleased with it, I like it because I was already using Paypal so it’s makes things easier book keeping wise and money can be transferred instantly to your bank account.
Also with the Paypal app I like that you can take payments over the phone which is very useful when things go wrong online.

I have an iZettle too and love it. It’s really simple to use and it will also record cash payments (free of charge) so you can get a complete inventory of your days takings, credit card and cash, once you get home.

Good luck with your first fair!

Elaine

One thing to bear in mind, is that the Sumup reader needs 4.0 Bluetooth. Fine if you have a more recent phone or tablet. The izettle ( which is what I have, and it’s great) doesn’t so it works with older tech, my tablet is about 5 years old and works great. Can’t speak for the PayPal reader!

I still have my original old Paypal reader works with bluetooth on my ancient ipad and also on my old android phone, don’t know if the newer reader would be the same though so yes this is something that would need checking first whatever you decide to get.

Hi Sasha, I’ve just used your link to order izettle card reader, thank you x

1 Like

I recently bought Sumup and very pleased with it. They have it for £29 at the moment.
You can get a discount of £14 if you click on my referral link which is on my facebook page https://www.facebook.com/CrystalClarkeHandmadeJewellery or on my twitter https://twitter.com/Crystal_Clarke