Chain maille - how many rings do I need for

Hi All,
my dad has expressed a desire to learn how to make chain maille after watching someone else do it. I’ve found online instructions which give the size of jump ring required for the chain to work but none of them have given any indication of how many jump rings are required (I know this will vary depending on the type of wire/ size of ring etc). My thinking is if I get him enough jump rings to make an 18 inch byzantine necklace (that was the type of chain he had watched someone else make) he can then give it to my mum … so could anyone give me an indication of what sort of weight of jump rings I would need? I was thinking of 18gauge aluminium rings with 3/16 inch id in a couple of colours so he can track which step of the process he’s gotten to (and I’m accepting that I might end up finishing it off when he gets bored half way through) but if you have a better suggestion I’d love to hear it. Pliers and clasps we have in abundance.
Cheers
Sasha

I’ve no idea about the technicalities, but just a little note - I always end up with a big grey mark around my neck when I’ve been wearing my aluminium chain maille choker (I look a bit like a zombie when I take it off).
I don’t know how common it discolouring skin is, but thought it might be good to be aware of just so you don’t worry if it does happen! Although you might be ok with a necklace anyway as it’s not as tight against the skin, I don’t really get it much from my looser matching bracelet (and I’ve never had a problem with my stainless steel chain maille).

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up - I’ll warn my mum if my dad gets round to doing it.