Closing my shop (with great sadness)

Oh wow, really? That’s great news! Bet you’re excited now waiting for the delivery! Fingers crossed that they help. Looking forward to seeing what else you list in your shop x

Really sad to hear lots of people closing their shops, I may go down that root soon, I haven’t bothered re stocking my shop, best wishes to you all xx

1 Like

Jackie, might you consider getting some flyers to leave around on your travels? It would be a good time to try seeing as Christmas is coming :blossom:

Hi, yes I have already got flyers, as people forget what you make with a business card xx

1 Like

Where do you leave them? I’m thinking of all the places I’m going to leave them or post them to at this stage. I’ve made a whole new range of items so I need to get them on and get these out flyers into the big wide world :blossom:

I have posted them to playgroup and mother & toddler groups, put them on my table at craft fairs xx

1 Like

Oh dear, I’ve just seen the we only have 3709 sellers now, that’s a lot less than last week :open_mouth: I think it’s dropped by about 70!

That’s very sad to hear Jo. Then again there are hundreds of sellers closing on the dark side. How do you find out how many sellers there are on Folksy?

1 Like

Look on the bright side - that’s a bigger share of the market here for each of the remining shops !!
I think there will always be some turnover. However, it would be interesting if @Folksyadmin can do some number-crunching and see whether the shops which close are more likely to be newer or more established ones.

2 Likes

My iPad regularly logs me out of Folksy and then you can see the number of sellers and also items on the front page. :cherry_blossom:

Yes that’s true. I’d be curious to know as well :cherry_blossom:

The shop numbers have been falling constantly over the last few months, i.e. beginning of August 3960, today 3709.

1 Like

It’s a really big drop this year.
If it drops to under 3000 I’d be quite concerned, as that would be half of what it was a year ago.

1 Like

Maybe it was after the mass scam e-mail?

1 Like

Might it be shops setting up for Easter, and closing down as their first batch of listings expire?

I thnk it’s more of a steady trickle.
The number of sellers hasn’t been this low for at least three years.

I’ve been selling on Folksy for more than 5 years now and the number of sellers has hovered around the 5000 mark for much of that time…sometimes a lot more, sometimes less, but 5000 was about average.

1 Like

Could some of the numbers be due to shops being in holiday mode i don’t know if that affects the shop numbers, as the last couple of weeks a lot may have been on holiday

3 Likes

I’m getting concerned for Folksy, I’m quite passionate about it… everywhere is slow (apparently) but I have been considering the dark side, and I know where I’d much rather be. I think we must try not only to try and sell but also to buy also. I love buying from Folksy shops, as I hope they get the same buzz as I do when they see the sale! So I will try and buy a gift each week for Christmas from now on, I don’t have any birthdays coming up soon, and maybe things will pick up for everyone in the next few months. I’d hate to see it go. I am always telling people about it, I must have got at least 5 shops to open on here that I know of, 2 have gone for various reasons, but I do think I’m doing as much as I can to use it. We could probably do with a few more faces on the forums. It took me years before I felt comfortable using them! In fact, I don’t think I knew about them at first!

4 Likes

Its such a shame to hear about so many disillusioned sellers. I have noticed how slow sales are on here despite the endless promoting and time spent. I have other outlets which are much more productive and have also thought about closing my shops (have 2 on here). Best of luck to all of you for the future.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I think everybody is spending less on non-essential items like crafts and gifts. In my opinion crafts have hit their ‘hey day’ and craft fairs and markets are finding it difficult to hire out spaces to true crafts people because we can no longer afford their stall fees so such events get filled with commercial enterprises selling cheap imported goods. We need to stand fast together, maybe cut down on quantity and concentrate on quality so we get noticed above the riff raff out there.

1 Like