Couple Caught using other people's Trademark

has anyone read this yet?

There are a number of shops on here that need to take a long read of this

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/st-austell-couple-ordered-to-pay-up-for-illegal-use-of-logos/story-29541327-detail/story.html#7ys0Sh60cXwVDPef.01

10 Likes

Yes, I saw this posted in a Facebook group…it’s amazing how many people claim they didn’t know it was wrong to do what they were doing. I don’t understand how they can not know…

Yes, I saw this on the E…y Forums.

I think the most important point that comes out of the judgement is that there are companies who have paid for a license to use these trademarks and are using them legitimately. When others use the same trademarks without paying for a license they are harming other small businesses that are acting legally. There is not such thing as a victim-less crime.

Sam x

1 Like

I’ve been pointing this issue out to people for over 20 years, some people believe they are fireproof and their little shop won’t be noticed, trouble is this is big business and they have people out looking for just this kind of thing.

1 Like

How do you find out if you need permission to use an image? This has never bothered me before, but I am asking because I would like to do a decoupage project using a book from my childhood, a wonderful Janet and John from the 1960s. It’s for personal use, but if it works, I wondered where I stood about making them to sell.

This article might help http://blog.folksy.com/2015/04/30/three-experts-answer-designers-copyright-questions

Plum, I think you’d need to look at the publisher’s website to find out who to contact. There’s some info here - it appears they’ve been recently reprinted so you might want to exercise some caution.

Hopefully someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think it would be a problem to recycle books and use the pages and illustrations in a different way. There are lots of people who make bunting from book pages etc. I think the issue would be if you scanned and reprinted the pages to sell as your own work.

Thanks for your replies. It’s all very interesting.

I’m absolutely no expert with regard to using book pages in products @Beesandblossoms but I’m pretty sure that legally you can only use book pages which are out of copyright protection.
I know a very successful designer/maker who uses book pages in her work and she only uses out of copyright book pages

Yes, that’s the impression I got too. I wonder if reprinting the original book resets the copyright to this year?

Plum - if your project is for personal use, go for it. I think there’s only an issue if there’s money being made off it and you’re deemed to be benefitting from someone else’s work.