Crimp beads *Jewellery makers*

Total frustration. Have been having a bit of a make day today. The old online shop I was getting my crimp beads from shut so i tried someone new and blimey. RUBBISH. I am doing all the normal things like not pulling beads too tight before crimping, leaving a little gap so the clasp has freedom to move, not crossing wires and the little so and so’s just wont hold the finished piece together. (I do tend to make things with natural stone beads so are heavier needing a secure crimp i guess) Does anyone use a particular supplier? Never had trouble before grrrr.

I always use the tube shaped crimps, I did try the rounded crimp beads a long time ago but had the same trouble you have been experiencing. I get mine from Burhouse Beads and they have always been fine (not let me down yet).

1 Like

I always use beadalon crimp tubes and use crimping pliers have bought cheaper crimp tubes in the past but do not hold as well, I usually buy them from the bead shop (Manchester) or beads direct

I use sterling silver tube crimps from Palmer Metals. The ones you squash flat and fold in half. They are pretty good.

I’m same as dawn i use the tube crimp from burhouse squash them then bend in half using the crimper tool.
They are Sterling Silver and you can get different sizes.

I think crimps come in different thicknesses eg medium, heavy, I seem to recall the ones I use are under the heading of heavy and Ive never had a problem. Have a look at the bottom of the page http://www.thesilvercorporation.co.uk/home.asp

Lots of places to have a look at thanks all.

What precisely is happening to your crimps? Are they just not gripping, or breaking apart on the wire? If they are breaking then that is a sub-standard crimp that is not soft enough to be moulded into shape by the pliers. If they are not gripping this may be a problem with the plastic coating on your beading wire and not the crimps at all. If the coating is not complete then there is nothing for the metal to grip onto and so it will just slide through the crimp. Even crimps that are slightly too large for the wire you are using should grip once they have been crushed flat, but from what you say it seems this is not happening. Like some other makers on this thread, I prefer to use Beadalon crimps for longevity. Other makes seem to be more prone to failure and so are a false economy. It is important to find a brand you trust, particularly when you are stringing very heavy beads.

Love Sam x

The wire is the same i have been using since i started nearly a year ago and customers who brought my first pieces are still coming back for more with no issues :slight_smile: the only change is crimp beads/tubes so yes may just buy a few from several sources and have a little play to see which ones which suit me best. :smile: